1801 question...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcyc

Reaction score
being from Jersey ill mainly be striper and fluke fishing a not too far off the beach, how does the 1801 handle in light chop and small rollers?

The 1801 handles the best in its class, it's a Parker right? Keep in mind the gunnels are somewhat low so you have to be smart with your footing. I've had my 1801 in some pretty nasty winds and seas and it has performed well above my expectations. Pick your days, listen to WX channel, watch the clouds and do not take unnecessary risks!

I use my 2007 1801 in the same waters as you, well a little south. I am out of LEI and do everything in my boat from chasing bunker schools 10 miles up and down the beach to wreck fishing to chunking baits in the whitewater and back water under 2' pluggin and fluking. It seriously is the best in class! And the no frills thing is ideal and makes for a low maintenance package. It was a little rough in a head sea but they were 2-3's and I was trying to keep up with a deep v 23 footer. I have no bow rails or front deck but went with the toe rails in leu of 2 additional rod holders. The boat covers 95 percent of whjat I do with ease, theres always a trade off but I could not be happier with my boat. Just wish I could afford to keep it this season :( Check the post lets see your 18's I have a few photos in there. Good luck!

It does pretty well, but at times it is a little difficult to get the bow down. I fish my 1801 in the Long Island Sound and it can get very choppy. I am in the process of putting trim tabs on it to make the ride a little better. Otherwise it is a great boat. As others have said you have to watch the weather, you would have to do this in a 21' as well.

Are you considering purchasing one? For what you get for the money it is a good boat. A 21' is nice as well but it is a substantial increase in price.

I run my 1801 out of Staten Island (Great Kills) and regularly fish around Raritan Bay from Great Kills to Sandy Hook to Jamaica Bay and back. This is easily a 25 mile round trip and the Parker handles it like a champ. The only compromise is that when wave heights get above 2 ft, I keep the speed down. In Raritan Bay, depending on the wind direction, this corresponds to winds in the 12 to 15 knot range. Since the prevailing winds are typically from the west, I think this is less of a problem on the NJ coast since you'd operate in the lee of the mainland.

As you can tell from my handle, I'm mainly fly fishing from my Parker so I have the low front handrails and pop-up cleats. I like the 18 ft size because I can tow it with my V6 Toyota Rav4. Anything larger would require a bigger tow vehicle.

- Fly Rod

Thanks fellas. I think im gonna pull the trigger and pick one up, if I can find one at the right price. Ill be the nut completly geared up on the water in april. :lol: .

Back