23DV Bow Rod Holder Install Question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tunagi

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A friend just picked up a 2013 23DV that I'm helping outfit.

Looking to add some rod holders toward the bow and I'm wondering if there is drainage below the gunnels/cap around the area of the forward storage boxes. My guess is the floor goes all the way to the forward bulkhead of the anchor locker. And since there's a bead of caulk/sealant around the area that where it meets the deck I'm guessing there is not.

Naturally, I don't want to add rod holders that are going to drain into an area of the boat where there's nowhere for the water to go.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

1723057999669.png

A friend just picked up a 2013 23DV that I'm helping outfit.

Looking to add some rod holders toward the bow and I'm wondering if there is drainage below the gunnels/cap around the area of the forward storage boxes. My guess is the floor goes all the way to the forward bulkhead of the anchor locker. And since there's a bead of caulk/sealant around the area that where it meets the deck I'm guessing there is not.

Naturally, I don't want to add rod holders that are going to drain into an area of the boat where there's nowhere for the water to go.

Thanks in advance for any and all info.

You can answer your question by looking in that storage locker, no?

That sealant is there to keep water from getting into that area from the outside. And if you add that rod holder then the water that drains through it to the inside will not have anywhere to go.

I would keep things simple and mount the rod holder in the gunnel at the bottom right corner of your picture so it's behind that bulkhead that's screwed in.

You can get caps that go on the bottom of the rod holder so that you can run a drain line but they clog pretty easily/frequently.

Good question about the rod holder drainage on your friend's 23DV. Generally, on most boats, there's no drainage below the gunnels. Water tends to pool there and eventually evaporate. Adding rod holders without considering this could lead to water accumulation and potential issues.

I'd recommend drilling small drain holes at the bottom of the rod holders to allow water to escape. Be cautious not to drill through any structural components. You could also use self-draining rod holders if available.

Check the Parker forum or owner's manual for specific advice on your model. There might be information about drainage or recommended rod holder placement.

Good question about the rod holder drainage on your friend's 23DV. Generally, on most boats, there's no drainage below the gunnels. Water tends to pool there and eventually evaporate. Adding rod holders without considering this could lead to water accumulation and potential issues.

I'd recommend drilling small drain holes at the bottom of the rod holders to allow water to escape. Be cautious not to drill through any structural components. You could also use self-draining rod holders if available.

Check the Parker forum or owner's manual for specific advice on your model. There might be information about drainage or recommended rod holder placement.
This sounds like an AI response. Bits of correct generalities with a mishmash of bs...like checking the Parker forum.

What does the anchor locker look like inside? If it is like the 2320, it drains to the bilge. It looks like the two up front are going in that envelope? For very little money and labor, you could glass that drain over and send that water overboard, which is ALL good.
That bulkhead under the gunwale (with the screws) looks almost identical to the one on my 2320. You could access the underside of the gunwale for rod holders and backing plates, BUT the railing may interfere with the reels depending on rod holder angle and rod/reel combo used. If you go that route, you could then drill a slightly undersized hole in that bulkhead before you reinstall and route the rod holder drain hose out so it drip onto the deck (it may be a starboard-like material).

Cram some screen into those rod holders to keep the drains flowing. You can always remove and recaulk the bulkhead in a pinch.
A wifi endoscope camera is great for these projects so you can thoroughly explore those areas.

When I first bought my boat, I undertook an effort to minimize water from under my deck and on the fuel tank. I wanted to send anchor locker water overboard, so it started a bit of a saga. You may get some ideas from contributors in the threads below.

There are 3 threads, one on the discovery of a plug in my center drain, one fixing/removing the foam plug, and one cutting the drain and installing the floor in the anchor locker. I clunked my way through things, and with all the good advice, managed to get the results I was hoping for.

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1025365-installing-overboard-anchor-locker-drain.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boatin...cker-drain-need-little-glass-help-please.html

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/1029104-parker-2320-water-trapped-hull-fixed.html

Last edited:
Upon a little more exploring, it looks like that bead of caulk may be cosmetic only.
There is a small panel on either side of the storage lockers that were easily removed by removing the 3 screws you can see in the picture.
Solid floor from what we could see, so simply cut a 1/2 circle so water can drain from the bottom of that small panel on each side, down the deck, and out the scuppers.
Thanks for the replies!

Latest posts

Back