Lowrance HDS in Pilot House

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DEEP POCKETS

Reaction score
I am going to purchase a Lowrance HDS unit for my new to me 2320 PH, are there any known problems with mounting units with internal antennas not receiving GPS transmissions inside the pilot house when the unit is mounted on top of the dash :?:

I wouldn't think there would be any interference issues with the Pilot House roof but thought I would ask to be sure.

Thanks for your input! :)

I can't speak for that unit, but I just mounted a new fixed mount Standard Horizon VHF with the built-in GPS and it picked up the GPS sats in about 15-20 seconds on a cold start out of the box in the pilothouse of my 2520. My guess is you'd have no problem, but that's just a guess.

I use the external antenna on my Lowrance HDS. I had sporadic luck getting a signal without it.

Steve

I had problems with My HDS loosing signal so I installed a 4000 GPS modual on the roof and it works great.

which HDS? I'm trying to figure out if the new 10" Gen 2 touch will fit in my 2320.

FWIW, I have a First Gen HDS 8 and 10 in the pilot house of a 27 Judge and have never had a problem with the internal GPA antennas getting a good signal.

TimC2520":1c3h3ojp said:
I can't speak for that unit, but I just mounted a new fixed mount Standard Horizon VHF with the built-in GPS and it picked up the GPS sats in about 15-20 seconds on a cold start out of the box in the pilothouse of my 2520. My guess is you'd have no problem, but that's just a guess.

Thanks Tim, hope you are right... I live not too far from you in Blue Bell and will be using the boat out of Cape May this year.

Luv2fish":1jnyoq12 said:
I use the external antenna on my Lowrance HDS. I had sporadic luck getting a signal without it.

Steve

Seems hit or miss if you can get a signal or not, have to wait and see if I need an external but I'm hoping it will be OK. Thanks

wildman":1wvgk0lk said:
I had problems with My HDS loosing signal so I installed a 4000 GPS modual on the roof and it works great.

Did you mount your flush in the dash or on top? I would think on top may be OK being closer to the window.

big tuna":krlkm6hq said:
which HDS? I'm trying to figure out if the new 10" Gen 2 touch will fit in my 2320.

HDS 10 Gen 2, hoping it fits on top of the dash next to another unit...

Tawn":3ispzupe said:
FWIW, I have a First Gen HDS 8 and 10 in the pilot house of a 27 Judge and have never had a problem with the internal GPA antennas getting a good signal.

Good to hear Tawn, thanks.... Judge's sure are nice looking boats!!

One other question I have been thinking about is whether the 20 ft cable for transducer will be long enough if unit is mounted on top of the dash?

I plan on running the cable along side of engine cables and drilling through the swim platform to avoid drilling through the transom.

So, do you think the 20 foot transducer cable will be long enough or will I need to get an extension?

Thanks for any comments!!

John

I doubt it will be long enough. I installed them in my 2120 and had about 3" to spare at the head unit. I think the extra 2 feet for your 2320 will make it too short. I ran mine along the starboard side with the steering/control cables. When I got in the pilot house I ran it directly along the outside of the right side of the console to the unit that is also mounted on the right side. Just barely fit.

Here is a picture of the transducer location.

Steve

Attachments

• Transducer mounts.jpg
    Transducer mounts.jpg
    165.4 KB
Luv2fish":2qj13idy said:
I doubt it will be long enough. I installed them in my 2120 and had about 3" to spare at the head unit. I think the extra 2 feet for your 2320 will make it too short. I ran mine along the starboard side with the steering/control cables. When I got in the pilot house I ran it directly along the outside of the right side of the console to the unit that is also mounted on the right side. Just barely fit.

Here is a picture of the transducer location.

Steve

Thanks for your reply Steve!

Couple questions for you:

1) - do you know where I can buy extension cables for the ff transducer and structure scan transducers?

2) - how is your fish finder and structure scan working with your transducers mounted the way you have them installed?

3) - what is the white board you have your transducers mounted on and where did you get yours? Looks nice and clean!!!
Thanks again.....

John

1) - do you know where I can buy extension cables for the ff transducer and structure scan transducers?

I've been very happy with the service I get from the GPS store. It has been a 2 day turn around for delivery to Virginia.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-12- ... Ogod9XUAIw

2) - how is your fish finder and structure scan working with your transducers mounted the way you have them installed?

I need to make some adjustments as they are not working as well as I would like. I'll post more pictures. I am still looking for any feedback on a good location on a Deep V parker for the transducers.

3) - what is the white board you have your transducers mounted on and where did you get yours? Looks nice and clean!!!
Thanks again.....

The white board is just a piece of Starboard that I cut to fit. I plan on replacing it this weekend with a "black piece" since I have black bottom paint. Starboard is very durable and keeps me from drilling a bunch of holes in my hull to change the transducer locations.

Steve

Luv2fish":7gohyxf3 said:

I've been very happy with the service I get from the GPS store. It has been a 2 day turn around for delivery to Virginia.

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Lowrance-12- ... Ogod9XUAIw

I need to make some adjustments as they are not working as well as I would like. I'll post more pictures. I am still looking for any feedback on a good location on a Deep V parker for the transducers.

Thanks again.....

The white board is just a piece of Starboard that I cut to fit. I plan on replacing it this weekend with a "black piece" since I have black bottom paint. Starboard is very durable and keeps me from drilling a bunch of holes in my hull to change the transducer locations.

Steve
Steve - I did a fair amount of research on how and where to mount the structure scan and skimmer transducers and this is what the consensus was:

- mount the structure scan ducer 8 inches from the center line of the boat and should be mounted lower than the skimmer transducer.

- mount skimmer transducer 8 inches away from structure scan and should be within 12 inches of structure scan transducer.

The structure scan should be mounted lower so it doesn't pick up the skimmer transducer. This is how I mounted mine this past weekend, haven't used the electronics yet so I'll let you know how it works out.

Nice to hear, picked up a Ram mount to give some more flexibility mounting on the dash next to 10 in Garmin GPS/Radar unit.Looking forward to see how it works...

Back