Fuel leak into foam

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damon

Reaction score
I have an 08' 2320. I came back to my boat the other day and could smell fuel in the cabin. After a little investigation I found there was a couple loose screws holding the sending unit in that were leaking fuel into the foam. Thinking this would drain I ran some fresh water into foam to try and flush the fuel out. After some research I have found that this is a sealed box. So my question is should I try to drill some holes in the foam to try and let it breath better, and possibly drill a drain hole? Let it air out and hope it drys? Or some other fix that some one knows of? Now I'm concerned about my tank sitting in water. Any help would be appreciate.

Thank you,
Damon

Where are you located? There is a possible solution it will require drilling a hole in the bottom of the tank box below the tank. See what others may say but I am thinking this is going to be the only way to get the water out. I have done this before.

I am in Washington state, the boat is in Westport. I was thinking that drilling a couple holes is my only option. Looks like these holes need to come from transom forward into the fuel cell area? How bad will it be for fresh water to sit against the tank for a couple months until I put it back in my shop?

Well the only issue with water in there is possible crevice corrosion between the foam and the tank. This is the only issue I have seen occur in Parker tanks. When I had a similar issue I drilled a 1" hole at the bottom center of the tank box. I used a Forstner bit to insure I didn't go though and puncture the tank. What I later learned was there is about 3" of foam under the tank. Once I drilled through the back bulkhead I probed with a screwdriver and dug out some of the foam to create a drainage pocket. I inserted a piece of PVC pipe into the hole and sealed it with duct tape, connected it to a small shop vac and let it run. It would pull a vacuum and help draw the water out. You would need to get the bow up to let gravity help you. This is the only way I could come up with to get the trapped water out. Once I was satisfied that no more water was coming out I epoxied a drain insert in the hole and put a SS rubber boat plug in it.

FWIW on my first 23 Parker the livewell came with a loose clamp on drain hose that allowed copious amounts of saltwater to flow over the gas tank/foam area.

I realize this is not gas as in your situation but Parker recommended flushing the area with fresh water. They said the foam is closed cell foam and should not soak up water. I took out the garboard drain plug and flushed for 30 min or so. Dried everything I could reach and then use a fan to create a decent airflow through the under deck area. I let the air flow go on for a week. Never had any issues.

In your case make sure you pull and reseal the fasteners on the fuel sender flange. The screws take a special fuel resistant sealant. Don't over-tighten.

Good luck.

I was reading this info and your saying when Parker puts the gas tank in they foam the bottom and its sealed? If water ever did get in, water will just sit there and rot the tank?

The foam is closed cell and in theory water shouldn't penetrate and should stay on top of the foam. The fact that tanks do corrode tells me water is staying in the box and gets between the foam and aluminum.

I had a very similar problem this spring after filling up the tank. Had a lot of fuel come out of the sending unit and into the foam. Someone suggested drilling the bottom of the cofin box but I was not brave enough to drill it myself due to the fuel, and several local shops wanted nothing to do with it. I forced air into the foam wherever I could get my shop vac to by using it to blow air through and around the tank. Fuel continued to seep out slowly for about a week so it must make it out somehow, bow had to be all the wat down. I had the tank pressure tested which was fine. It took 4-6 weeks before the fuel odor disapated enough that I was ready to get back on the boat. What a pain in the ass. Good luck.

I took a video of the foam I pulled out from around the tank. The foam was about 1 inch by 1 inch. I squeeze it and got a shot glass of water out of it. I send that video to Robbin at parker. The foam that they say shouldn't have water in it. DOES !!!! The boat was only 6 years old then. I now seal the the deck plates so no water can get in at all!!! I open it open every spring and check it. I also put duck tape over them for winter storage. It's a good thing to duck tape your gas cap also. The boat is now 10 years old and I'm starting to save up money to put tank and put a new one in and cold tar the tank. That's what parker should start doing, cold tar all tanks!!!

An Aluminum tank doesn't need to be coal tar epoxied. AL if left alone will naturally oxidize and create a corrosion proof barrier. The best solution is to not seal it up with anything so air can circulate around the tank.

windknotnc":135b2kpe said:
An Aluminum tank doesn't need to be coal tar epoxied. AL if left alone will naturally oxidize and create a corrosion proof barrier. The best solution is to not seal it up with anything so air can circulate around the tank.
Yes, your right. Not to foam it and let air get around the tank. I read that gas tanks over 90 galls. Need the foam to hold it in place. I'm 60 years old. If I replace the tank next year and get 15 more years, I will be happy with that.

Back