• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Classic Parker Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Parker 17 0r Parker 18

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keepah

Reaction score
Still looking for a Parker 17 or a Parker 18 in the Northeast area.Any available?

Word of caution: I can personally attest that 115hp makes for a woefully underpowered Parker 18.

Im going to go ahead and respectfully disagree with rag top on this one. I have owned 2 18 foot boats, both with 115 yammys. My old 2004 18 parker had a 115 yammy 4 stroke and i saw 39 mph with moderate amount of gear. The boat was no speed demon but unless on a calm evening/morning or on a river, i did not want to see 40 on that boat.

I also restored a 18 1986 wellcaft fisherman and had 115 yammy 1988 2 stroke yammy. It saw roughly the same speeds. Again, even a better riding boat than the parker it was fine power wise.

No offense taken, but here's my view.... My 1801 w/ 115 also has a top-end of about 38...providing the stars align (Clean hull, trimmed out, tail wind, following current, 1/2 tank of gas, 2 people onboard). This means I have to push 47K RPMS to maintain a cruising speed of 26 mph. I don't want to do that. I don't want to use 80% of an engine's power to maintain a cruising speed. It's not efficient and it's disconcerting to know there ain't much more in the throttle if I need it. So while I may rarely take an 1801 42mph...it would be nice to know that I could if the situation demanded it. It would be nicer still, to cruise at 66-70% engine capacity.

Additionally, I have experienced following seas wherein the 115 would not push through the trough. I think some of this may have to do with Parker intentionally (I confirmed this with them) mounting the motor higher than normal. A higher mount may help you in the skinny-water bays down east, but it doesn't help you get the bow up (if you have no tabs). So I'm gonna take my motor down a notch next month...which I anticipate will further diminish the 115's cruising performance.

Bottom line: The boat is rated for a 150 and that's what it needs.

Rag Top -

I've always wondered whether the 1801 wouldn't be stern heavy with a F150. Wasn't the hull originally designed for much lighter 2-stroke motors?

Dan

Think you may be correct... The 1801 is heavy sans engine... Which accounts for its smooth (albeit wet) ride. Ideally, a slightly lighter Susuki might be the way to go?

I can understand your concern with running 80%. However, the efficiency just never concerned me. The 115 was incredible on fuel. I was told by my dealer and mechanic (friend) that running the 4strokes hard is not an issue.

I never experience your problems with pushing through a following sea. I would get soaked anyways if I chose to really lay into some forward running swells. I do not know the weight difference between a 115 and a 150. Nevertheless, at Boats Inc in Niantic and in the surrounding Niantic area there are at least 20+ 18' Parkers. 50% of them have 100 HPs on them and 50% have 115's. I have NEVER seen one with a 150.

I don't doubt your observations regarding 115s on Parkers, but I'm not sure it's pertinent to the discussion, as the price-point most assuredly dictates the market. (More cars are sold with cloth upholstery, but leather is available.) There are numerous 1801s with 150s down here, and I for one am envious. I've never met an owner that wished he had less HP, but plenty that yearn for more. Again, the boat is rated for a 150.

Love my Parker... it's the wettest boat I've ever owned, has absolutely no zip and it handles like a tractor, but it's also the smoothest 18 I've owned and I got an insane deal on it. I'll learn to live with the 115...and try not to look at the 1801s that are sporting 150s.

OK - correct - a 100 or a 115 makes for a cheaper boat - cannot contest that, right?

I disagreed with your inital observation which was that a 115 makes for a "woefully underpowered" Parker 18. That, and that only.

A 115 is a suitable horsepower for the boat. The 18 is meant to pop around inshore fishing locations / possibly some tubing and skiing with the family / some touring the friends and friends.... rarely do you see somebody purchasing a an 18 for the purpose of doing intense offshore fishing, where you need a sizeable amount of power to make your mark.

A 150 is, without a doubt, going to be better engine for the 18'....but the 115, in my opinion, worked just fine for me (and I am 26 years old, I like speed). I do not think it was "woefully" underpowered.

Fair enough... "woefully" may have been a reflection of my personal disappointment in its performance.

Gonna have to call BS on the tubing and skiing though. Try (2 adults in the boat / 2 ten-year olds being pulled)...painful (Think hole-shot without the shot.) and about as nimble as a train.

We live on the ICW, so I typically take the family a couple of miles north... hit our favorite sandbar and hang out for the day. But roughly 6 times a year, I take the ICW two hours south to Bald Head Island. This trip requires negotiating the Cape Fear River, which can be as flat as a mill pond or it can stack up some 3' chop...depending on wind/tide. It's during the uncomfortable passages that: (A) I get soaked to the bone, (B) I find the boat to be under-powered...and (C) The word "woefully" comes to mind.

Gentlemen,

I've seen a lot of things in my day like a World Fair, a Battleship in action, Waves breaking over a Carrier, hell even two goats fornicating, but this is a first. I have no side in this discussion, but I am taking the time to commend you both on a well thought-out, concise and spirited, but cordial discussion. I enjoyed reading through it and even learned a few things.

Thanks again,

Can't speak for the others, but I'm honored to have participated in an exercise that ranks right up there with goat fornication!

Back