1996 115 Ignition issue

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackofallt

Reaction score
my 1996 115hp is only firing on 3 cylinders, i installed a new ignition coil and it turned out not to be the problem, I ran a compression test and am getting 120-125 on all four cylinders so....before I go out and buy a new CDI box for hundreds of $$$ I wanted to get any one's opinion on next steps.

Thanks very much in advance for your feedback.

Have you pulled the plugs and identified what cylinder is not firing?
Once identified, consider replacing the plug wire to that cylinder.
It could be that simple.

Megabyte":3sfs454g said:
Have you pulled the plugs and identified what cylinder is not firing?
Once identified, consider replacing the plug wire to that cylinder.
It could be that simple.
Sometimes the CLEANEST plug IDs the suspect cylinder, as it isn't firing, but is being washed by the fuel.

Or, start at tad higher idle, maybe 900 or so and use PLASTIC or other non-conducting pliers to remove/re-install a plug wire 1 at a time. The RPMs will drop noticeably when a good cylinder/plug wire is pulled, but not when the suspect one is.

Now if you see that #3 is bad, for example, then switch w/ a plug wire from another cylinder. If the problem follows the part switched out ... then you know that part is BAD.

thanks guys for your responses, the plug wire is incorporated with the coil and I changed the coil so the plug wire is OK, i do know it is number 3 cylinder and so that was the coil i replaced but number 3 still is not firing so i am looking for suggestions of other things to test before i go out and get that new CDI box for hundreds of dollars....I guess the real question is what provides the charge to the coil to send to the plug? the stator, the CDI box or something else?

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Back