Bilge Crack

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tip - I use small finish nails coated with grease as a release agent, instead of toothpicks.

Is there a reason why you would use a chunk of wood instead of a chunk of fiberglass?
I am just curious.
I installed a thru-hull with a sea-cock and I bought a square block of fiberglass which I then sealed to the boats hull.
I did a similar thing to mount a battery box in the cabin.
Granted it was more expensive to use the FG but I figured that when I was done it was more like one solid piece of boat.
I guess I was concerned about the wood not being solid enough.
I am not being critical, please don't think that, I am trying to learn.
I do tend to over do things.

Peter

Peter,

In the case of a bilge pump, the purpose of the block is simply 1) to raise the pump off the hull bottom so it doesn't suck in bilge debris that settles and 2) to decrease the chance of running the mounting screws through the hull bottom. It's not really structural, so just about anything would work. I use wood because it's cheap and I usually already have some on hand. Overboring and backfilling the mounting holes provides the necessary rot protection so it doesn't have to be replaced again.

For things like seacocks, the wood is fine too. If bedded properly, it isn't going to come off. :)

A block of solid glass is just as good.

Screws grip better in wood than glass. In general, you thru bolt in glass and can get away with screws in wood. Either way will work since you are not hanging stuff upside down.

OK ...
I was getting ready to put my new bilge pump in
And I also saw a line crack in the back of the bilge mount plate
I was able to flick off the gel coat..Its soaked but it doesn't look soft or flaky
* I suggest everyone check to see if there float switch and bilge pump was sealed up correctly*
When I took off the Bilge pump it was in a thick bed of life caulk as you can still see the foot print :)
The Float switch screws were just screwed in dry no foot print :twisted: ....that's how the water got underneath :twisted:

I was hoping not to pull the whole thing out :roll:
If I really should be fine :cry:
If I really think there is no rot It was mentioned to me last night
Drill a series of holes in it put a light bulb in the bilge for a week let it get good and dry
Pour in some thin glass and gel coat it up ,,,,,,,"thoughts"

Attachments

• Bilge crack.JPG
    Bilge crack.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 273
In reality it is nothing but a piece of "sacrificial" structure, albeit wood, adhered to the solid glass layup hull, to ease the addition of a pump or other accessory item. You could leave it as is ...

Back