fishing alone

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Walker

Reaction score
:?: Has anybody in a 2320 ph.,2520 ph 2820 ph gone out fishing off shore and anchor'd alone? or drifted for that matter. I'm considering the purchase of a 2520 and will be fishing alone most of the time. It seems as though it would be somewhat difficult to operate the boat and pull anchor at the same time but then again perhaps not. Has anybody had any experience engaged in this activity. Dave W.

I fish alone on my 2320, with the proper techniques with anchoring alone it is doable. Anchor ball is sometimes helpful when anchoring alone. aAso have to pick and choose your days.

I fish alone in my 2320 all the time. I use the anchor ball and deploy and retrieve from the cockpit. I drop the anchor from the side of the boat, then walk up to the bow with the rode and secure it to the cleat near the pulpit. I have anchored as deep as 400’. I don’t ever take anchoring lightly. It can be dangerous but I been doing it for 14 years now. If you have any questions, just ask away.

If you install a windlass, then anchoring would be a lot easier but you will be limited to about 100'.

Attachments

• img_0260.jpeg
    img_0260.jpeg
    196.5 KB · Views: 601
Why just 100' I have a 2320 w/windlass 30'chain 220' rope thats all the rope I need but could certainly put more in the locker. I have a friend that has a 28' Marinett he anchors off the back use one of those red balls to pull anchor then just pulls the anchor in.

I meant 100' deep (300' of rode by at 1 to 3 ratio). I carry 1200' of rode to anchor 400' deep.

understood,
I figure 5:1 on Lake Erie deepest where I anchor 45', I usually don't anchor if the waves are 3'-5'. I am retired so I can pick&choose days to fish.

Another limitation of a windlass is that you can’t get off the ball in an emergency. Say you’re anchored over structure fishing for stripers in a strong current. What if a child or someone with a medical condition falls overboard and starts drifting beyond the reach of a lifering. Or in the corner of your eye you see a 32’ Abemarle bearing down at you at 30knots. What are you going to do—cut the pricey 8 plait or take 15+ minutes to wind up the anchor? This moment of indecision could be the difference between a good or bad outcome. I’m setup for tuna fishing so I can get off the ball in less than 5 seconds.

Phil":km89jxtn said:
Another limitation of a windlass is that you can’t get off the ball in an emergency. Say you’re anchored over structure fishing for stripers in a strong current. What if a child or someone with a medical condition falls overboard and starts drifting beyond the reach of a lifering. Or in the corner of your eye you see a 32’ Abemarle bearing down at you at 30knots. What are you going to do—cut the pricey 8 plait or take 15+ minutes to wind up the anchor? This moment of indecision could be the difference between a good or bad outcome. I’m setup for tuna fishing so I can get off the ball in less than 5 seconds.

That is a simple answer. In a potential life or death situation, you cut the rope...

I fish whether I'm alone or with someone. :mrgreen:

The 2320 is very manageable and easy to fish alone especially with a windlass. The only thing different that I do when alone is I don't use a marker jug because it is a pain to retrieve by yourself. I anchor off the GPS mark. And, I don't mess with tooth critters/sharks to try to get my gear back..........I just cut the line a few ft up.

Also, the launch routine at the ramp is a bit slower, but easy enough. I usually avoid weekends if launching by myself.

The boat stays nice and clean when there is no one else to trash it. You burn a lot less fuel. The quietness and solitude is kind of like being out in the desert at night. It's nice. But that being said, fishing with your regular crew is always fun too.

The furthest solo trip was an overnight 120mi out from the west coast of FL.

Just another point for SAFETY at sea ... please make sure to keep a good VIGILANT lookout around you for other boaters ...

See: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12241

Back