Glassing center console together

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Longislandfish

Reaction score
Hello. Has anyone glassed the 2 piece console together on a Parker 18/21. I am sick and tired of the screws falling out and chipping the outside flange gelcoat from movement and rough water conditions. I have added weight from a doghouse I built and it has been great. But even before I added it I noticed screws falling out and chipped holes.

My plan as of now is to remove everything I can from inside, cover and tarp all wiring, remove all through bolted hardware. Don the ppe and grab me 1/4 die grinder and grind the gelcoat on top and bottom of the seam. Not much area to work and it’s a miserable place to try to do fiberglass work but I don’t think there’s a better solution. 2-3 layers of 1708 with structural putty that the seam.

Cons is that it won’t be removable but I don’t think I need to remove it, the console is just csm on the sides and it flexes too much. Bigger hardware and. Backing plate was a thought but I don’t think it will be as strong as glass.

Hardest part seems to be the working space and limited movement, also keeping the area and boat clean while working. So working in small sections and pre wetting the glass out on a layup table and transferring them to a container into the console would be the easiest way.

Anyone do something like this ?

Attachments

• IMG_2164.jpeg
    IMG_2164.jpeg
    997 KB
Wish you had a "Outside" pix. 2-3 layers of 1708 is WAY Overkill. 1 layer 1708 + 1 layer 1.5oz mat is way more than sufficient.

My initial thought was West System Six10 adhesive..... If there is a flange?

IF you decide to go thru this. Use duct tape on the outside over the screw holes..... If you don't....Resign will go thru the holes and run down creation a LOT of unnecessary work sanding it off.

Went with 2 layers of 1708. Grinded it all down, tarped area, acetone wipe. Thickened resin and 2 layers of 1708. Strong as an ox now
Wish you had a "Outside" pix. 2-3 layers of 1708 is WAY Overkill. 1 layer 1708 + 1 layer 1.5oz mat is way more than sufficient.

My initial thought was West System Six10 adhesive..... If there is a flange?

IF you decide to go thru this. Use duct tape on the outside over the screw holes..... If you don't....Resign will IMG_2189.jpeggo thru the holes and run down creation a LOT of unnecessary work sanding i

Love these threads. Ask for a little benchmarking to make sure your idea is sound, and then it's done. Good job, "solid" upgrade!

Look at the one pic where you can see a person. Follow the black lead to the console. Is that something that could use a little grinding and glass while you're in there? It's a little moldy spot that looks a little crackish.
Maybe poke it with a fine pick for a softness check, or check the outside at that area to see if it needs a little attention while you have momentum and materials
Console looks great.

Last edited:
Back