Quonset Point Air Show June 26, 2011 –

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smittles1179

Reaction score
I headed out to do some striper fishing this Sunday with my cousin’s husband and a couple of his friends. What a great group of guys, and although we didn’t catch anything in Narragansett Bay near Providence RI, we did catch the Quonset Point Air Show. It was awesome to catch it from the water and navigating around all the anchored vessels and moving targets proved to be a rewarding challenge. Here are a couple pictures of the event on my “New to Me” 2004, 2120 DVSC Parker. I believe I have owned her for 2 months now. I’ve taken her out with friends, family and alone. I thought I wouldn’t like the 2120 and always wanted a 2520or 2530 but I have to say it’s been awesome. The 2120 gives me the ability to hook up and tow her to any location. My 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 5.7 Hemi and tow/haul mode works perfect, you hardly know you’re towing anything. The ability to put her into the water and take her out by myself is an enormous bonus. Gas prices are at the local pump which takes a dollar a gallon off the “on the water” price from what I’ve been told. So I can trim $100 bucks off gas filling her up, although she does have a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke which is very fuel efficient I find that the ship is under powered. To me under powered means, she runs great and is great on gas, but the hull is rated for a 225 max and I understand why. With 5 Guys on board the boat is tight fitting and heavy, 100 gallons of fuel and all the gear I could only get on plane when 2 guys sat up on the bow. That’s not everyday but I don’t want to run her a full power to feel like I’m getting somewhere, I’d rather have a 225 and run her at half speed, even if I had to pay a little more for fuel. So If your thinking a 150 Yamaha 4 stoke can get you by, it can, but it may leave you wanting more. I do. ~Captain Smittles

Attachments

• Captain_Smittles.jpg
    Captain_Smittles.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 278
  • The Crew.jpg
    The Crew.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Captain_Smittles2.jpg
    Captain_Smittles2.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 278
  • crew2.jpg
    crew2.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 278
  • crew3.jpg
    crew3.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 278
We also took in the air show both sat and sunday. First time for me and what a good time and awsome display of what a plane can do. Sat was the better day weather wise but had fun both days and also had a boat load on the 2520xl. I seen alot of parkers those 2 days and was wondering if any where members of classic parker. Seems like having a harley as in everyone notices each other when in the parker and a friendly wave is in order. Mine has a 225 on it and I was wishing for a 300 when all loaded up and full of fuel so I guess you can never have the perfect motor for all situations, but the 225 is great for most of them. We have been having no real luck fishing in that area so far but I am new to boating R.I and would like any advice or tips where and how to fish it from our friendly parker family..haha I may have to change the name soon..hahaha
DSCN2503.jpg

I dig the name man. I noticed a few Parkers on the water also. I’m sure they are all friendly people but you are the first to confirm your existence. I’m Captain Will AKA “Smittles” of the “Free Will” I have absolutely zero experience fishing these waters or any Salt water for that matter. I am a fairly new fresh water fisherman who was talked into bringing his Jon Boat out on the ocean by a friend. When I saw the bay I realized “you’re going to need a bigger boat” and so I started day dreaming. After watching the boards (ie: ebay, jaxed, craigslist) I came to the conclusion I could never afford a 2520 that I daydreamed about, as I do not make that much money and if I were to save for it, well it would take years and years. So I downgraded the dream and got lucky to find a 2004 2120 DVSC with a Yamaha 150 and 9.9 kicker motor on her being sold by a wonderful soul named Captain Lance Rozanski. He hooked me up with his knowledge and fishing gear and his phone number if I ever had any questions. I’ve had the ship since April 30th 2011 and tow her to the water every weekend and attempt to catch a fish. It’s funny because to date I have never caught a salt water fish in my Lifetime. NEVER caught a salt water fish…it’s rather funny. I’m excited to know that it is just a matter of time and I look forward to the experience when it does happen. So far a fresh water large mouth bass has been the best fight of my life. So I have no advice for you as to how or where to fish, but if I catch something I will be sure to let everyone know about it. I guess I’ll see you on the water, don’t forget my friendly wave as I motor past you. Tight Lines. ~Smittles

Attachments

• puppy.JPG
    puppy.JPG
    217.1 KB · Views: 185
Snowdevil

I drive the 2520 that would be in your photo in season.Pulled her yesterday to re-power with a 225 Optimax.Try pushing one with a 150!Frankly this hasn't been the best fluke season so far and the usually reliable sea bass season has been closed til 7/11 so it has been fairly poor fishing so far.Should get better and we have had great tautog fishing the last few falls so there is that to look forward to.FWIW, you can drift squid and shiners from right out side the channel by C3 anywhere over to R8 and have a pretty good shot for decent fluke.Further out, from Beavertail up to Austin Hollow are always considered good spots as well.
Just good to be out there and it goes by too fast so enjoy.

Well just got back from a weeks vacation at the marina in warwick and got to use the boat every day. Learned alot about the area as where to anchor up and get some swimming in , did alot of exploring and did some fishin as well. I am glad to say the dry spell is over and we caught plenty of fish. Netted 6 stripers and lost as many, plenty of fluke and scup. Fluke made for a great dinner but relased all the stripers. most where in the 34 range and all where a blast to catch. Caught them both wire line jigging and bottom fishing squid.
It was a great week and look foward to hitting it again this weekend.
DSCN2574.jpg

DSCN2579.jpg

DSCN2591.jpg

DSCN2605.jpg

The dog also loves the boat....

Well, I'll add to the thread as not to create more junk I guess. I took a couple buddies down to Newport RI over the weekend. Sure I love fishing but just being on the water in my Parker 2120 is great fun. We kicked back and enjoyed a few cold ones. enjoyed the view and fished here and there but didn't catch a thing. Next time perhaps. Still I can't believe how much fun this Parker is! I need a week off so i can spend more time on the water. ~Smittles

Attachments

• Newport_RI_001.JPG
    Newport_RI_001.JPG
    84.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Newport_RI_002.JPG
    Newport_RI_002.JPG
    107.7 KB · Views: 155
  • Newport_RI_003.JPG
    Newport_RI_003.JPG
    85.3 KB · Views: 155
  • Newport_RI_004.JPG
    Newport_RI_004.JPG