San Diego Fishing Recommendations?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hakr

Reaction score
February 24-26, I'm going to try to get in some Left Coast fishing on one of those days. Surf? "Head" boat? What? Any recommendations? I'll be at a business meeting, but I plan to sneak away one of those days. I'm mostly a catch and release fisherman, and prefer not using heavy tackle.

I'll be staying out at the Coronado Beach Resort.

Thanks!

The Humboult (Giant) squid are being caught just offshore right now.

Check the charter services above when they are running. It is twilight fishing, I believe 5pm to 10ish.

You'll want big tackle some are 50-60 lbs.

I don't know about catch and release....

I fished out of Seaforth Sportfishing (Phone 619.224.3383), Sunday night 02/17/08.

There were 3 of us, my son Nick, my buddy Rob and myself.

Nick was ill with that crude thats been going around, but still managed 2 squid, including the biggest that weighed in at 42lbs.

Between Rob and I we managed 18 more, averaging between 25 and 35 lbs.

Right now with the cold water the white sea bass and the yellow tail is spotty at best. The squiding was incredible.

The picture of me is with the first squid caught on the boat. At 35 lbs. it was long grind from 1100 feet!

Nick with his beast at 42 lbs.!![/b]

Actually, I'd rather catch *fish fish* rather than squid fish. :D

How about surf casting? I'm going to be staying at the Hotel del Coronado, and I can pack a 7' spinning rod. Worthwhile or a waste of time? Do I need a fishing license to fish from shore? What's in the near surf? Bait?

Well you might be able to catch some Navy SEAL wannabes. I think BUDS training is down there..

We need some warmer water..

Good Luck!

Well you might be able to catch some Navy SEAL wannabes. I think BUDS training is down there..

We need some warmer water..

Good Luck!

Hakr: Can't tell you about the fishing but I will suggest you NOT miss the Sunday Brunch at the Coronado. Awesome!

TheOtherLine":14qh2zzm said:
Hakr: Can't tell you about the fishing but I will suggest you NOT miss the Sunday Brunch at the Coronado. Awesome!

I understand it is beyond belief.

I wouldn't bother with the surf rod, wrong time of year. I suggest hitting up one of the sporties Kevin G. recommended. Less hassle and they will usually put you on the fish since they are out there everyday.

It’s always nice when you can take advantage of the local fishing when on a work trip.

Good luck and be sure to let us know how you did if you make it out.

Back