Scupper drains

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sscoville

Reaction score
My drains through the transom appear to be 1 1/8” brass tubes. On all but one, they are flared on both sides of the transom. On the outside, the flanged portion has broken on all but one. I am guessing that the installed these with the flange on the inside and then used some sort of flaring tool to create the outer flange and it’s breaking down. I plan to clean around the tubes and put sealant in as a short term fix. Has anyone seen this before? I assume there is wood behind here somewhere.

93f80ba45f9ebeefea4fdbe71c15e3b9.heic

The second picture shows the one inside without any flange.

cff8dffd0eb541c7d5de32377a08c8d4.heic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My boat had the same problem, and yes, there's wood in the transom. Could be damp if the brass tubes are cracked. And there is a tool you can buy to flare one end of the tube. But rather than replace the brass tubes you can fix them permanently by using short pieces of pvc pipe. I believe that is what Brent is referring to when he suggests searching this site. I think it was a thread by Warthog. Was one of the first projects I undertook when I bought my boat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

When I searched I found that someone here had emailed “Eric at Parker” who said the holes are gel coated before the brass tubes are installed. What have others here found upon removing the brass tubes? If they are in fact gelcoated, I’m inclined to just clean them and put marine caulk around the tub edges. I don’t have cracks inside the tubes.

The brass apparently doesn’t hold up well when flanged so I don’t think I’ll redo them with brass. Isn’t it difficult to get a good bond with caulk and pvc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My 2000 2110 had the same problem. The holes were gel coated from the factory but it was pretty thin and I didn't trust it. I sanded the holes down to bare wood and wet them out with 3 or 4 coats of thinned epoxy until it wouldn't "drink up" any more and I built up the thickness of the epoxy until the tubes would barely fit the hole and put new brass tubes in. I don't forsee any problems in the near future. The original brass tubes lasted 16 yrs., I figure these new ones should do the same.

I Bored mine out....Opened up to Clean wood...Epoxied them and installed PVC that was sanded to get some tooth on it.

You make the PVC slightly short...IE: Not even with the inside or outside surface.....Then you wipe a nice clean fillet of epoxy /Cabisol mix to finish it off.

That Brass can move around with time and leak.....You don't want a wet transom core.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12419&start=25

Scroll down.

Back