TRAILER QUESTION - 2520

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having a tough time with the trailering, I dont haul the boat far or often, but i feel like the boat sits too far back on the trailer. I get a pretty good sway starting if i get near 60. the truck is a 3/4 ton. Any ideas on how to check, the trailer is as it came from the dealer with the boat new in 2021. Many thanks for looking.

Attachments

• IMG_8245.jpeg
    9 MB
  • IMG_8244.jpeg
    9.2 MB
Having a tough time with the trailering, I dont haul the boat far or often, but i feel like the boat sits too far back on the trailer. I get a pretty good sway starting if i get near 60. the truck is a 3/4 ton. Any ideas on how to check, the trailer is as it came from the dealer with the boat new in 2021. Many thanks for looking.
It looks like our 2520 is positioned forward of where yours is. Plus, we have a single 300; less weight aft than your twins. Maybe you would benefit if you move yours a bit more forward. We seldom trailer the boat, and only for short distance but have no sway issues.
1722172375274.png

Sway is usually caused by too little tongue weight. Tow distance is irrelevant. Even a short tow can be dangerous if your trailer is not set up right or the brakes do not work!

Hard to tell from your pictures, but you may be able to move the winch post ahead to move the boat ahead and thereby increase the tongue weight. You can also estimate your tongue weight with a scale (or by eye and feel).

I also see that your transom is not even with the bunks. I much prefer to have the boat load so that the transom is even with the end of the bunks. Better support for the transom and stern where there is a lot of weight.

I had issues with my 2530 on the trailer setup from the dealer. I dont tow far often either, my local ramp is close enough that the speed limit is never above 45, but last year I moved both axles back 3". I may move the bow post up more this year. I am yet to go to official CAT scales but that is probably the best way to get everything dialed in. After watching many videos, tongue weight is the real issue. I havent towed fast since my last adjustments though.

Can't tell from your pix's....Do the bunks go to or a inch past the transom? Others are correct..Sway is dangerous no matter how far you tow. Caused by not enough tounge weight. If the bunks stop short of the transom...In time can cause a "Hook" in the hull.
I haven't seen a trailer yet that can't use a little tweaking to make it right. Yet people put up with it and say "Well the dealer set it up that way, so it must be right." Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Attachments

• 100_4831.JPG
    100_4831.JPG
    449.8 KB
Thanks Gents for all the shared info. I wont have the boat back on the trailer for a while, but next time its on, i clearly need to pay attention to some more details as to where it sits and maybe make some adjustments from there. I do appreciate all the input, thanks so much. @ Capt Andy, i'm a long time follower of your youtube channel sir, you were instrumental in my purchase of my wee boat, thanks for all the time you take to share your knowledge, its greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gents for all the shared info. I wont have the boat back on the trailer for a while, but next time its on, i clearly need to pay attention to some more details as to where it sits and maybe make some adjustments from there. I do appreciate all the input, thanks so much. @ Capt Andy, i'm a long time follower of your youtube channel sir, you were instrumental in my purchase of my wee boat, thanks for all the time you take to share your knowledge, its greatly appreciated.
Thank you for the kind words... it means a lot to me!
And I too appreciate all the generous members here on Classic Parker who share their wealth of knowledge with us...

Last edited:
Back