wiring question

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcyc

Reaction score
I am installing led light strips, they came with 24 gauge wire connections. I cannot find 24g wire. I am wondering if it would be a problem to splice in 18 gauge wire. i provided a rough diagram.

Attachments

• lightdia.jpg
    lightdia.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 237
Not a problem at all for ampacity (see my last statement), as once can always use a bigger wire. However, if the connectors needed for 18ga AWG don’t tightly crimp on the 24ga wire, make sure to strip the 24ga wire at twice the length and fold it back on itself.

Another tip, cover with adhesive lined heatshrink, best prices on marine wiring stuff here: http://genuinedealz.com/

While LEDs don't draw lots of energy, in fact rated in micro amps, just remember that the total ampacity on a circuit is the total length of the circuit TO and FROM the load, from the power source. Then you look up the proper wire needs for the amps that will be pulled in a amp/wire table, see my posts (use search) on the free download Wire Sizer program.

Also remember that LED's are polarity sensitive. Unlike a standard 12 bulb that does not care which way the electrons flow an LED will not light if the polarity is reversed. Make sure you wire your switch correctly too.

Back