1801 & Minn Kota Riptide Terrova Quest

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the feedback, suggestions & pics of your quick disconnect locations. I will continue to explore & think about a spot as I prefer to have clean lines & try to avoid as much exposed "things".

I will also look into the Batter Tender. But I wanted clarify the Minn Kota quick disconnect that I currently have:
https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.co...tor/mkr-28-trolling-motor-plug-and-receptacle

This one also is a screw in type. I am familiar with the other one where it is more of a plug without the screw in. I am not going with that version.

On another positive note, I took the 36v 112lb motor out this weekend for my first use & I was simply blown away by its power. I was able to hold in spots that I could never hold with my 80lb MotorGuide. Winds were quick strong in the morning yesterday in front of Atlantic City & huge swells, but that motor kept me on my spot! The only time I moved/drifted was during a big swell and the prop came out of the water. I am very happy with this purchase and setup.

I have that one also. No way this comes undone. Plenty of threads make it very secure.
My TM comes off after every trip and this plug is as snug as day 1. View attachment 39893
The plug itself is nice, what I dislike is the wire pigtails. There’s no good way to join them to the size of wire that you should be running from your batteries to the plug. You’ve either got to use big awkward inline splices, or power posts, or lugs bolted together (don’t do this). The Battery Tender allows you to connect lugs straight to the back of the plug. I have 4AWG cables running directly to my plug for minimal voltage drop in the system, and almost no chance of ever having a corroded connection.

On another positive note, I took the 36v 112lb motor out this weekend for my first use & I was simply blown away by its power. I was able to hold in spots that I could never hold with my 80lb MotorGuide. Winds were quick strong in the morning yesterday in front of Atlantic City & huge swells, but that motor kept me on my spot! The only time I moved/drifted was during a big swell and the prop came out of the water. I am very happy with this purchase and setup.
Just bought an 1801 and plan to put a 36v trolling motor on as I also fish in very heavy currents. Do you recommend the 60” or the 72” shaft? I don’t plan to fish in heavy seas but will be dealing with large boat wakes.

Just bought an 1801 and plan to put a 36v trolling motor on as I also fish in very heavy currents. Do you recommend the 60” or the 72” shaft? I don’t plan to fish in heavy seas but will be dealing with large boat wakes.

I have 60 on the same hull and really wish I had gone with a 72. In my use case I am often onboard alone and, even if motor is fully deployed as deep as it will go, in a 2-3 foot chop when I’m on the back/stern of the boat (little weight on the bow) the motor comes out of the water. The trade off or challenge with the 72 would the extra length on deck when not deployed. With my install of the 60 the motor head hangs outside the gunnel a few inches and sometimes I bump the motor head on a piling when docking.

Pics for future visitors since this site/thread was so helpful to my trolling motor choice and install

View attachment IMG_4016.jpeg
View attachment IMG_4015.jpeg

In almost all applications the 60" has done well for me & I fish mostly in the ocean. Once the wave build high and tight enough that my motor continuously pops out of the water, I am pulling the motor back in & heading to the barn.

72" will def hold better in those bigger waves/traffic, but it will certainly take up more deck space. Depending on how you mount it, the motor or head could stick out past the rub rail which could be a concern for docking.

I have 60 on the same hull and really wish I had gone with a 72. In my use case I am often onboard alone and, even if motor is fully deployed as deep as it will go, in a 2-3 foot chop when I’m on the back/stern of the boat (little weight on the bow) the motor comes out of the water. The trade off or challenge with the 72 would the extra length on deck when not deployed. With my install of the 60 the motor head hangs outside the gunnel a few inches and sometimes I bump the motor head on a piling when docking.

Pics for future visitors since this site/thread was so helpful to my trolling motor choice and install
Thank you Paulmer! The owner of the local tackle shop near me has the 72” on his 1801 and recommended it.

In almost all applications the 60" has done well for me & I fish mostly in the ocean. Once the wave build high and tight enough that my motor continuously pops out of the water, I am pulling the motor back in & heading to the barn.

72" will def hold better in those bigger waves/traffic, but it will certainly take up more deck space. Depending on how you mount it, the motor or head could stick out past the rub rail which could be a concern for docking.
Thank you, Lucky. I’ll be tailoring the boat so the motor overhanging the tub rail is a big concern.

Thank you all for the feedback, suggestions & pics of your quick disconnect locations. I will continue to explore & think about a spot as I prefer to have clean lines & try to avoid as much exposed "things".

I will also look into the Batter Tender. But I wanted clarify the Minn Kota quick disconnect that I currently have:
https://minnkota.johnsonoutdoors.co...tor/mkr-28-trolling-motor-plug-and-receptacle

This one also is a screw in type. I am familiar with the other one where it is more of a plug without the screw in. I am not going with that version.
How hard was the install. Is your 1801 pre wired? Where did you out the battery for motor? I have a 2011 and want to get trolling motor.
Thanks

My boat had existing wires for the trolling motor from the previous owner. I replaced the older MotorGuide with a MinnKota this year. I have 3 12v lithium batteries and the main engine battery in the console. The wires can be run from the console up towards the bow following the fuel line, or in my case, the wires were run towards the stern then back up to the bow under the gunnel. Longer run, so make sure your wires are sized appropriately for your application.

The weather in the MidAtlantic/North East has been terrible for the past few weeks with no end in sight. Once the weather clears & I can take the cover off, I’ll send you some pics.

In any case when you install your motor either on a quick disconnect or mounting directly to the bow, make sure to overdrill the holes, fill with epoxy, then screw into the epoxy. Also, I added a back plate under the mount for added strength for the motor. These newer motors have a lot of torque & extra strength is helpful.

My boat had existing wires for the trolling motor from the previous owner. I replaced the older MotorGuide with a MinnKota this year. I have 3 12v lithium batteries and the main engine battery in the console. The wires can be run from the console up towards the bow following the fuel line, or in my case, the wires were run towards the stern then back up to the bow under the gunnel. Longer run, so make sure your wires are sized appropriately for your application.

The weather in the MidAtlantic/North East has been terrible for the past few weeks with no end in sight. Once the weather clears & I can take the cover off, I’ll send you some pics.

In any case when you install your motor either on a quick disconnect or mounting directly to the bow, make sure to overdrill the holes, fill with epoxy, then screw into the epoxy. Also, I added a back plate under the mount for added strength for the motor. These newer motors have a lot of torque & extra strength is helpful.

Back