1988 23 Parker - A True Classic

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Tom

Reaction score
It seems I have found this site again.

I am the proud owner of a 1988 23 Parker - called at the time a 23 Sport. It is probably the equivalent of a 23 SE today. The boat has been modified by me to accommodate fly fishing and light tackle fishing. That is to say that I removed the bow rail and the captains chairs. I modified the storage areas on the side to accommodate fly rods; added a leaning post/rocket launcher, hydraulic steering and trim tabs.

My boat has been stored inside at Radio Island Marina in Beaufort, NC for its entire life and it shows even today. I bought the boat about 8-10 years ago, did the modifications during the first winter, and have enjoyed every minute I have spent on it. Truly a great boat!

Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• Sailfish Boat Flag 2 7.24.05 (Medium).jpg
    Sailfish Boat Flag 2 7.24.05 (Medium).jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 892
  • Sailfish Boat Flag 7.24.05 (Medium).jpg
    Sailfish Boat Flag 7.24.05 (Medium).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 892
  • DWreck AJ with Thomas 8.2.08 (Medium).jpg
    DWreck AJ with Thomas 8.2.08 (Medium).jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 892
  • IMG_0606 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_0606 (Medium).JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 892
Wahoo!

Nice boat, in A-1 beautiful condition :D , thanks for posting and "Welcome Aboard" again!

That is an awesome looking boat great job on everything you have done to it!!!

Very clean boat. Definately a classic.

How big is that live well?

You certainly do have a clean looking classic there!
Welcome back!! :)

Fish Factory, you are correct about Radio Island Marina. They do a great job. A couple of years ago they completely renovated the marina, built a new clubhouse/ships store, new bulkheads and installed new floating docks. First class facility now.

Unfortunately, they are no longer the Parker dealer in the area. Starling Marine, who took over from Morehead Marine at their location, is the new dealer for Parker. And, Bill Rixey (from Bogue Sound Boat Co.) is the new GM of the dealership.

The new 23 Parker is out too - I saw one at the Raleigh Civic Center Boat Show - and it is impressive!

Tom Tom":1abcof1i said:
The new 23 Parker is out too - I saw one at the Raleigh Civic Center Boat Show - and it is impressive!

If anyone goes to one of the winter shows where the new re-designed model is in attendance, some photos would be appreciated! :D

Ryan C - That is a Kodiak live well, and I think it is 30 gallons. When I am live chumming for AJs, I put about 75-100 baits in there. When I am slow trolling for king mackerels, I put about 40 in there.

I plumbed the port side jump seat with a male hose end, and made an appropriate length of hose pipe to connect from the male end to the live well. It exhausts overflow straight over the stern.

I like your 23. I bought a new one last year and am enjoying it very much. I can only hope mine looks as good as yours down the road. :)

Welcome to ClassicParker and the ParkerNation and your on-line Parker Owner's Manual.

Very nice looking Classic. If I could ever get the Admiral to relent, I'd downsize to a 23 CC to satisfy my fly fishing habit.

Dave

aka

Porkchunker,

The reason I bought this boat - other than the obvious (it's a Parker!) is that it could be customized for fly fishing and light tackle fishing. It had no t-top, so that was easy. I took the bow rail off, took the captains chairs out and replaced them with a leaning post, bought a portable live well, fashioned some killer rod holders out of the ribs of the boat and can store the tips of the fly rods in holes cut out in the jump seat, installed pop-up cleats and a few original Parker rod holders direct from the factory; and installed gaffs under the cap. Now a perfect boat for what I do - flyfishing for albacores, amberjacks, bluefish, spanish macks, king macks, etc.

How about you - what species light you up on the fly?

ooo a fellow '88 er

that one pic with the flyrod fighting the fish looks like it came out of the catalog it's so good...

i ALMOST called shenanigans it was so good.

welcome

Thanks, Capt. Jim. As I recall there was a nice'un on the other end of the line......................

Back