2520 I/O conversion help

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Portland Parker

Reaction score
I'm new to the site but wanted to know if other owners have converted their 2520 dvsc inboard outboard to a outboard with transom bracket. I have seen what this involves and parker says no other support is needed as long as the bracket has a integrated swim platform and the hole in the transom is fiber glassed properly. Any help or insight would be appreciated. It is a 1997.

I'd suggest that you use a 30in wide tub, instead of a 18in wide tub. This will give you more flotation at rest.

Here is how I'm handling it on my 22' Grady...

Core around outdrive hole removed. I cut back each layer of 3/4" differently so the seams in the filler pieces would overlap by about 3". I don't like just sticking a plug in the existing hole.

photo73_zpsadfe9a2f.jpg

Filler pieces cut.

photo76_zps7bf3f9cb.jpg

Two layers of 1.5 oz. mat on the first core piece and bonded in with thickened resin.

13947430192_780990a893_z.jpg

I had taped around the edges on the inside so I would get excess resin everywhere.

13947456971_8ee6c72ef1_z.jpg

Put down another layer of 1.5 oz. mat, then bedded the second core piece with thicked resin, then topped it off with 2 more layers of 1.5.

13947462491_5a007dbe1d_z.jpg

Once my stringers are extended I will put a third piece of core in place that completely spans the area between the stringers and heavily glass that.

Thank you so much for the replies and pictures that helps a ton. What type of bracket are you going with and I'm also wondering how you plan to address the engine hole? Will you do any knee bracing into the engine mounting blocks?

wondering how you plan to address the engine hole?
What does all that mean? The pix's of the outdrive hole being filled is a very good example of how to do it.

Will you do any knee bracing into the engine mounting blocks?

All it will really need is knees brought up to support the deck where it covers the Dog Box area.

Thanks that answered my question. I meant the dog box area wasn't sure what that space was called.

Should the knees be made of laminated 3/4 marine ply?

Since you won't need the dog box anymore, it could be removed and the deck area repaired flat.
This would be a good time to install a good sized hatch in that area to allow you to service the bilge pump(s) and maybe even use some of the old motor area as storage.

You might find some info and pictures for use in your build, like adding 'knees', from this project here where I had helped a friend convert his old 'cut out' transom CC into a full transom hull with OB floatation bracket.

See: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6972

We bought the bracket from A&J Marine [(305)-265-7922] and it was a phenomenal product at a great price! They were awesome to deal with to boot ...

DaleH":3gt2lju4 said:
You might find some info and pictures for use in your build, like adding 'knees', from this project here where I had helped a friend convert his old 'cut out' transom CC into a full transom hull with OB floatation bracket.

See: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=6972

We bought the bracket from A&J Marine [(305)-265-7922] and it was a phenomenal product at a great price! They were awesome to deal with to boot ...

I love looking at those projects. They seem so easy to do. My personal opinion is to have an outboard on a bracket. Love to have a project like that. Looks like fun

Back