Adding Inverter

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
Hello CP family,

I would like to add a power inverter to my 2120, but unsure about how much battery power will be required. I currently have the two batteries that came with the boat when I purchased it new in 2021. I would like to run a Starlink system, so I can have my laptop with me and have internet at all times. Will I need to add a dedicated battery? Here is some information I found on their website. Appreciate any recommendations. Thank you!

Gen 3 Standard​

Image-6.jpeg

The Gen 3 Standard Starlink dish uses 75-100 watts on average. This includes the antenna, router, power supply, and cables.

When idle, the Gen 3 Standard dish uses about 20 watts.

The Gen 3 Standard model uses a power supply brick that runs off of 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz. It draws up to 2.5 amps.

Factors that affect power consumption​

The amount of power that Starlink draws depends on many factors. For example, the Starlink dish will use additional power when it’s snowing or raining. It will use less power when nobody is downloading or uploading anything.

Are you looking to power other 120v components, or just the Starlink?

A quick search shows that there are adapter kits that allow the Starlink to be powered by a 12v power supply. This is going to be a ton more efficient than installing an inverter, and you can probably get away with using your existing battery setup- although I’d highly recommend upgrading one of your batteries to a high quality deep cycle GP31 AGM battery (I’m partial to the Lifeline GP31XT, at 125ah) and installing a BEP switch to separate your house and cranking systems, if you haven’t already. I doubt that power supply likes seeing voltage drops from cranking service.

Are you looking to power other 120v components, or just the Starlink?

A quick search shows that there are adapter kits that allow the Starlink to be powered by a 12v power supply. This is going to be a ton more efficient than installing an inverter, and you can probably get away with using your existing battery setup- although I’d highly recommend upgrading one of your batteries to a high quality deep cycle GP31 AGM battery (I’m partial to the Lifeline GP31XT, at 125ah) and installing a BEP switch to separate your house and cranking systems, if you haven’t already. I doubt that power supply likes seeing voltage drops from cranking service.
I would also have to power my laptop. Thanks !

I would also have to power my laptop. Thanks !
Most laptops actually run off DC voltage (that’s what the box in the charging cable does- converts from AC to DC). I’d bet you can find a 12v socket adapter for that too.

You may need to install some more 12v power sockets, but it’s still going to be a way easier/more efficient solution than an inverter.

Most laptops actually run off DC voltage (that’s what the box in the charging cable does- converts from AC to DC). I’d bet you can find a 12v socket adapter for that too.

You may need to install some more 12v power sockets, but it’s still going to be a way easier/more efficient solution than an inverter.
I really appreciate your replies. When it comes to electrical, I get lost. Does it matter which battery I change out (port/stbd)? Can you send a pic of the BEP switch? Is it difficult to install and wire?

I really appreciate your replies. When it comes to electrical, I get lost. Does it matter which battery I change out (port/stbd)? Can you send a pic of the BEP switch? Is it difficult to install and wire?
And where did you find the adapter kit? Thanks again!

Adapter kits were located by a quick google search for “Starlink 12v power supply” and “[insert laptop brand here] 12v power adapter”. Should give you plenty of reading material.

As far as the BEP switch goes, check out the search function. Tons of information about that mod has been posted on here before, it’s probably one of the most well-documented Parker mods. The specific battery you decide to change shouldn’t matter that much; remember though that the new larger battery will be heavier so take that into account if your boat tends to list one way or the other so as not to exacerbate that problem.

Adapter kits were located by a quick google search for “Starlink 12v power supply” and “[insert laptop brand here] 12v power adapter”. Should give you plenty of reading material.

As far as the BEP switch goes, check out the search function. Tons of information about that mod has been posted on here before, it’s probably one of the most well-documented Parker mods. The specific battery you decide to change shouldn’t matter that much; remember though that the new larger battery will be heavier so take that into account if your boat tends to list one way or the other so as not to exacerbate that problem.
Thank you!

Hello CP family,

I would like to add a power inverter to my 2120, but unsure about how much battery power will be required. I currently have the two batteries that came with the boat when I purchased it new in 2021. I would like to run a Starlink system, so I can have my laptop with me and have internet at all times. Will I need to add a dedicated battery? Here is some information I found on their website. Appreciate any recommendations. Thank you!

Gen 3 Standard​

Image-6.jpeg

The Gen 3 Standard Starlink dish uses 75-100 watts on average. This includes the antenna, router, power supply, and cables.

When idle, the Gen 3 Standard dish uses about 20 watts.

The Gen 3 Standard model uses a power supply brick that runs off of 100-240V AC, 50-60Hz. It draws up to 2.5 amps.

Factors that affect power consumption​

The amount of power that Starlink draws depends on many factors. For example, the Starlink dish will use additional power when it’s snowing or raining. It will use less power when nobody is downloading or uploading anything.

Putting an inverter in is super easy. Just important to use the right size wire. From the battery to the inverter. I use lithium since you can use more it without damaging the battery plus a 100 amp hour battery is only 31 pounds. I put mine behind the seat

Putting an inverter in is super easy. Just important to use the right size wire. From the battery to the inverter. I use lithium since you can use more it without damaging the battery plus a 100 amp hour battery is only 31 pounds. I put mine behind the seat
Any pics of the install? Thanks!

70407794725__AF3A1407-574B-4B8E-94E2-6EC0A00DAFA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 70407793834__D669CBC2-BDBE-4350-B39D-8FF6E5CD4EC1.jpeg
    70407793834__D669CBC2-BDBE-4350-B39D-8FF6E5CD4EC1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 70407791700__A278A675-CAF9-4098-A859-9BF261311ADF.jpeg
    70407791700__A278A675-CAF9-4098-A859-9BF261311ADF.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1
  • 70407795648__92813BD1-5842-4CA6-9DD2-4BB68C74104C.jpeg
    70407795648__92813BD1-5842-4CA6-9DD2-4BB68C74104C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1