Caulking base of center console

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone caulked the base of their center console? I've got a 2007 2100SE I picked up last fall, I worry about water running under the console, it also accumulates debris. Is there a reason not to run a bead around it?

Thanks for the heads up on the drain holes, mine aren't visible unless you lay down flat on the deck to see them from the outside. There's three of them on the 21SE. Got it caulked today.

GregB, is this the base of the console you caulked, exterior or from inside console? I get mildew along here, that is, between the deck and the bottom of the console. I assume Parker seals this base well, it’s almost a tube that into the deck. Aft center, two small drain holes to deck.

Attachments

• IMG_1378.jpeg
    IMG_1378.jpeg
    293.5 KB
  • IMG_1377.jpeg
    IMG_1377.jpeg
    255.1 KB
GregB, is this the base of the console you caulked, exterior or from inside console? I get mildew along here, that is, between the deck and the bottom of the console. I assume Parker seals this base well, it’s almost a tube that into the deck. Aft center, two small drain holes to deck.
It was the exterior, I couldn't see looking under the lip if it had been caulked from the factory. In the short time I've owned the boat it was a debris catching area, I've been having to use a long bristle brush to get all the stuff out. Now that I've caulked it (except in the immediate areas where my three weep holes are aft) I'm not having that issue.

Got it! I was thinking same for awhile, to run a thick bead of caulk along the base. I get debris there as well and also bought a narrow bristle brush to clean. I think Parker uses two pieces for the console. The bottom piece is where the additional caulk is needed. It appears to be a deep “tub” that sits into the deck. If not well sealed, water would get below deck and into hull. The large upper piece, the console itself is bolted in place along the edges of the tub (see photos). As long as the tub is well sealed, seems to be a good design. But that also suggests that caulking is a good thing to do.

I chased the same problem with a Sea Pro I had.
I am in the process of (sort of) sealing my 2320 cabin. The water vapor from the bilge is a big contributor since the vapor fills every void and the water evaporates upwards obviously.
Anyway, without cleaning the mold off anything (so it doesn't stick aggressively, but still does the job) fill the rigging harness boot at the deck with short bursts of Great Stuff from a few angles. I used "large gap." I just did this under my gunwales and it works well. Again, leave the area dirty, the stuff is crazy sticky and don't touch it until the next day. I am not being bossy, just trying to save you a mess haha. Also, a previous project taught me it doesn't cure when sprayed in a bag, so that's out.
Be ready with a disposable bag to drop the used can into, and gloves are mandatory. Make it the last project of the day.
In the future when you need to get into the harness, the stuff breaks off pretty easy. It's not beautiful, but pretty satisfying to look at once it expands and cures.

I haven’t caulked around the base of the lower 2pc console on my 1801, however I upsides all the hardware on the inside floor and removed all the screws and sealed holes with life seal, as well as the rigging tube flange. The water will run under the top of the deck and bottom of the console, however if the screws are sealed with caulking I can’t see how water could penetrate the screw threads into the deck, it’s basically like fastening a washer between the deck and top of the screw head. Wouldn’t hurt to seal it up, but to keep the moisture out but haven’t seen any moisture inside the wood is dry as a bone. I also keep my bilge hatch and rear box lids open when not in use to circulate air, I repaired my port stringer last summer and heavily glassed the area with 1708 and hasn’t seen any signs of water intrusion since. Parkers console design is not terrible but it is also a bit odd as well. Would have been nice to have through bolted studs and instead of a false bottom just open. It makes removing it a pain in the ass as well.

On the positive side, it’s strong and can support insane loads and weight! Have been running my doghouse attached via console hard and in heavy chop and hasn’t ripped anything off the deck yet!

Attachments

• IMG_1025.jpeg
    3.2 MB
  • IMG_1019.jpeg
    IMG_1019.jpeg
    2 MB
  • IMG_1032.jpeg
    6.3 MB
Back