Changing the fuel filter element

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcyc

Reaction score
I am getting underway in my spring cleaning of my boat. I have a yama f150. I am taking on the task of changing the fuel filter element for the first time. I have one quick question, can i dump the fuel in the clear plastic and will it prime when i start the boat next, or is this not recommended?

If you are talking at the clear bulb on the raycor filters the answer is yes, I always fill the clear bulb up with fresh gas and then it will self prime.

I routinely change out my fuel/water separators and have never needed to fill or 'prime' them.
Take off the old... put on the new... and twist the key.
Never a stumble.

web.jpg

Sorry fellas, not the fuel water separator. The actual fuel filter element on the outboard.

mcyc":1imgnvqx said:
Sorry fellas, not the fuel water separator. The actual fuel filter element on the outboard.

My bad. Didn't realize you were talking about the little one on the motor.
Same advice tho. Change it, then twist the key. She will self prime.

:D Captain Kevin, I like how you wrote the date on the fuel/water separator because I usually write that information on my log notebook.
thanks, Grutus

Kev you really need to get the green corrosion off that fitting your bilge is filthy!!! 8)

miky2884":vowdlm1n said:
Kev you really need to get the green corrosion off that fitting your bilge is filthy!!! 8)

I agree !! :lol: :lol:

Megabyte":1qmvdabb said:
I routinely change out my fuel/water separators and have never needed to fill or 'prime' them.
Take off the old... put on the new... and twist the key.
Never a stumble.

Splitting hairs, but running air through the fuel or oil pump not really a good idea.

Always fill any filter first if possible, oil filters included.

Do you spin on a dry filter on that shiny new Corvette of yours? :D

Sometimes you can't depending on the orentation of the filter but that big Yamaha fuel filter is perfect for this.

I'm with Bryan on this one. Your motor may start right up without priming the filters, but air in the fuel line is going to wear the diaphragm in the low pressure fuel pumps and eventually cause a tear. At least that's what my mechanic told me when I had a tear in the diaphragm of one of my low pressure fuel pumps. In my case I used to not pump the priming bulb before starting because the motor started right up without pumping it. Now I always prime my filters and pump the bulb.

Gary

Good morning,
Just started my new boat to me yesterday and the little plastic cup would leak when I squeezed the primer in the bilge area?
Is that normal? I think its coming out of the treads, should I tape that with teflon?
Should the cup be totally filled when the engine is running? Mine runs 3/4 full.
This is the first time I have had a 4 stroke and trying to learn before it costs me a fortune.

Thanks
Dan

dbranco":8zz739n7 said:
Just started my new boat to me yesterday and the little plastic cup would leak when I squeezed the primer in the bilge area?
Is that normal? I think its coming out of the treads, should I tape that with teflon?
Should the cup be totally filled when the engine is running? Mine runs 3/4 full.

The plastic cup should not leak.
There is an o-ring that seals the cup against the base of the filter.
If yours is leaking, look to see if the o-ring is missing.
Once that is fixed, I think you will find that the cup will remain full, or almost so.

Should I also teflon tape the treads that its leaking from?

Thanks
Dan

dbranco":2oc09hwr said:
Should I also teflon tape the treads that its leaking from?

If the o-ring is in place, and in good shape, teflon tape will not be needed.
The o-ring is sufficient to seal the cup.

Back