Charcoal Canister on fuel vent. - Out with it or not?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westerly Fluke Guy

Reaction score
For all my years of boating the best tool in fueling a boat in the water was to listen to the vent for the gurgling and that was it. Done.
Now with these charcoal canisters in the vent line before the thru hull obviously ( I found out the hard way) you can't tell the boat is full until it's really full right up the pipe.
The funny but not so funny part is putting the boat away, shrinking it, and thinking all is well. Then you have a nice day in February where it gets up around 70, the fuel expands and starts bubbling out all over the damn place.
Can I take that f'in canister and throw it in the trash and run the vent hose straight out the thru-hull?
I don't care about EPA and green new deal answers.
Thx.

Trash it. It does nothing. Boat builders have to include it as installed equipment to comply with EPA regulations, same as diesel truck manufacturers had to install DPF systems that in many cases promptly got ripped out. Over a decade later, and they’re JUST starting to enforce that rule. I think we’re a loooong way away from a time when anyone is going to check your boat to see if it has the little feel-good filter.

If it is not broken, why break it? It is there to reduce the amount of fuel fumes that are vented to the atmosphere (that we all breathe).

I always measure the volume of fuel I use and keep track of what will fit in the tank. Maybe you could take a different approach to fueling the boat?

Last edited:
If it is not broken, why break it? It is there to reduce the amount of fuel fumes that are vented to the atmosphere (that we all breathe).

I always measure the volume of fuel I use and keep track of what will fit in the tank. Maybe you could take a different approach to fueling the boat?

Like I've been filling up since 1976. Listening for the vent to stop gurgling. Done. The approximate calculation is not that accurate. That canister is coming off and going to the landfill as soon as a purchase a piece of vent hose.

Hold on to it. YOU may find you need it in the future if they (the feds) start cracking down or you sell the boat. Removing OEM EPA devices comes with fines if they want to push the issue.
I know there is a million cars with the cats removed and never got caught...blah blah blah.

If there is an issue with fueling, there is a thread a month or two old that may help. Mine would trip the nozzle lock. By turning the gasoline nozzle to better direct the fuel down the hose, it no longer happens and will fill at a full flow rate.

For all my years of boating the best tool in fueling a boat in the water was to listen to the vent for the gurgling and that was it. Done.
Now with these charcoal canisters in the vent line before the thru hull obviously ( I found out the hard way) you can't tell the boat is full until it's really full right up the pipe.
The funny but not so funny part is putting the boat away, shrinking it, and thinking all is well. Then you have a nice day in February where it gets up around 70, the fuel expands and starts bubbling out all over the damn place.
Can I take that f'in canister and throw it in the trash and run the vent hose straight out the thru-hull?
I don't care about EPA and green new deal answers.
Thx.
Mine was clogged up this spring and wouldn’t take fuel. I replaced it this time but will probably bypass next time it happens. I didn’t even know it was there. It’s pretty big and expensive for what it is.

Back