Engine overheat 2024 Parker 2520xld

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New Parker (2024) 2520 xld with twin 150s-port /starboard engine overheat several times last year running around 3500 rpm 27-30 mph in channel -happened several times --took to dealer without any meaningful identifiable cause--stated possibly seaweed. The tell tale had water at all times and temp gauge on command link did not show increase temp. end winter to early spring no issues however wasn't out much
Recently engine port and starboard overheats again.... same issue... dealer reached out to Parker.. I haven't heard back at this point.
Dealership suggested engine trim at neutral with trim tabs with bow down position is possibly aerating too much at intake causing this problem. Doesn't make sense to me. Lemon engines ??? Any input would be appreciated.

Agreed it sounds like it's not overheating. Possibly a lemon sensor but not lemon engines.

Did your display say it was an overheat alarm? Did they use a diagnostic and confirm (and give you a printout) that the alarm was for overheat? I'd be curious to make that confirmation in the logged alarms saved in the computer. I have older engines and no MFD so I just get a beeping alarm and have to figure it out or check the computer. Not sure if new engines give you the info right away to know it's overheat, and whether it's oil temp or water temp.

Thanks for reply
7 overheats recorded..here ate some display pics last yr when this started I believe sensors were changed
The dealer took boat out and engines overheated under parameters when I had problem
Parkers reply to dealer is that the boat is in specs engine height etc parker stated the engines should be at one to two bars only and any higher the problems I am experiencing could happen
owners manual doesnt state this if it is that critical
So basically they are saying user error…I find that unlikely but I will run it at suggested settings and do a water trial if it overheats -I think it is a Yamaha problem
Odd two engines with sensor issues ???
IMG_0647.jpegIMG_0648.jpeg

Last edited:
Both engines throwing the same code makes it less likely it’s a sensor or engine issue. At 3500 rpm and 27 mph you could definitely pick up some sargassum that would fall off by the time you stop or get back to the dock.

Also, does that pic shows 5.7 mph and 2600 rpm? Were you running at that speed or that was during the process of slowing down? I ask because that sounds like you’d really be chugging along and not on plane. I don’t have that MFD for extra info, but I can tell my engines don’t like to hang out right below the rpm and speed to get on plane where they’re kind of lugging along because they cant spin fast enough to get on plane and open up to decrease the load on the engine. I think 150’s on your boat are a good option for efficiency and because I’m not concerned with an extra 10mph of top speed at wide open throttle. On the other side if that is you have a heavy boat and those engines might have a similar dislike of being run right below planing speed.

Both engines throwing the same code makes it less likely it’s a sensor or engine issue. At 3500 rpm and 27 mph you could definitely pick up some sargassum that would fall off by the time you stop or get back to the dock.

Also, does that pic shows 5.7 mph and 2600 rpm? Were you running at that speed or that was during the process of slowing down? I ask because that sounds like you’d really be chugging along and not on plane. I don’t have that MFD for extra info, but I can tell my engines don’t like to hang out right below the rpm and speed to get on plane where they’re kind of lugging along because they cant spin fast enough to get on plane and open up to decrease the load on the engine. I think 150’s on your boat are a good option for efficiency and because I’m not concerned with an extra 10mph of top speed at wide open throttle. On the other side if that is you have a heavy boat and those engines might have a similar dislike of being run right below planing speed.
I was slowing down w alarms going off -taking a quick pic for dealership.
I am hopeful just engine trim does trick. I am picking boat up next week.

Are your batteries charged 100% and all connections to batteries are very tight? Grounds and positive? All battery switches click solidly when thrown to the on position? I see 14 + volts when running which is correct. The sensor temp showing low but the alarm going off indicates something is not communicating properly. Are you in kelp zones? When you say channel do you mean the San Pedro channel?( or NJ?) I’ve seen kelp stingers get held up on trim tab zincs and block water or cause turbulence.

I would rather believe than not believe overheat alarms. Especially on both engines.
I doubt the teeny trim tabs could put the engines in a position to overheat, especially with the bracket setback.
Please follow-up if you (hopefully!) find the smoking gun.
The fact that the dealer was able to reproduce the condition is huge.

Last edited:
Are your batteries charged 100% and all connections to batteries are very tight? Grounds and positive? All battery switches click solidly when thrown to the on position? I see 14 + volts when running which is correct. The sensor temp showing low but the alarm going off indicates something is not communicating properly. Are you in kelp zones? When you say channel do you mean the San Pedro channel?( or NJ?) I’ve seen kelp stingers get held up on trim tab zincs and block water or cause turbulence.

Yes battery terminals and switch is good
I am in barnegat bay around forked river
There has been fair amount of seaweed but when I stop I dont see anything on tabs or intake
Battery voltage remains in same area since I bought it
Nj outboards is dealer I asked if this is a common problem since i find it doubtful others dont keep their engine trim at lower two bars -said no and said they are the largest parker dealer on nation
I asked if they could inquire to yamaha since half the equation is being address

I got boat back and so far no engine overheats with 18 hrs and only in bay. Boat dealer made no changes just did general servicing.
Parker said engine position as installed are in spec with Yamaha. Yamaha rep said with engines positioned even or slightly lower could result in issue due to aeration.
I have been running boat with engines trimmed down to lowest setting. I am relying less on trim tabs but when I have used them- no issues. 🤞 I need to run a little longer to be fully convinced this is resolved.

If this corrects the problem then a Parker 2520 pilothouse (at least) needs engines trimmed in lowest position within 1-2 bars as any higher -aeration of engine water intakes occur causing engine overheat with use of trim tabs. Prior to this I ran Robalo 222 with Yamaha F200 the same way and had zero issues. The argument is different hull types and engine configurations will run differently.

Last edited:
I got boat back and so far no engine overheats with 18 hrs and only in bay. Boat dealer made no changes just did general servicing.
Parker said engine position as installed are in spec with Yamaha. Yamaha rep said with engines positioned even or slightly lower could result in issue due to aeration.
I have been running boat with engines trimmed down to lowest setting. I am relying less on trim tabs but when I have used them- no issues. 🤞 I need to run a little longer to be fully convinced this is resolved.

If this corrects the problem then a Parker 2520 pilothouse (at least) needs engines trimmed in lowest position within 1-2 bars as any higher -aeration of engine water intakes occur causing engine overheat with use of trim tabs. Prior to this I ran Robalo 222 with Yamaha F200 the same way and had zero issues. The argument is different hull types and engine configurations will run differently.
What was Yamaha/Dealer explanation for normal running temps per the gauges and conflicting heat alarms?

The dealer reached out to the Yamaha rep... and response I received from the dealer was that the rep said aeration could cause the overheat problem. No other input of a discussion of normal running temps per gauges and alarms were conveyed to me
The dealership did take the boat out on a water trial and with mechanic they were able to see engine temp increasing by running boat with engine at slightly lower than mid trim and using trim tabs adjusting the bow down. The dealership believes the sensors and engines to be working correctly and that the engines were alarming with the overheat correctly.
I was told that this boat needs engines trimmed lowest 1-2 bar setting... proof with be determined w continued use if it alarms again then I believe it is a Yamaha problem as the Parker component if you will has been addressed by running the boat per the recommendations of Parker and dealer.

IDK. I have been running boats for more than 40 years. OMC and Yamaha 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Never experienced an issue like that

IDK. I have been running boats for more than 40 years. OMC and Yamaha 2 strokes and 4 strokes. Never experienced an issue like that
I agree w you...that is why I posted initially under the forum to get some feedback from more experienced boaters/ parker owners. It seems like an engine issue to me but by running the boat as they recommended will eliminate this argument by dealer and all. I will then seek remedy under Yamaha warranty.

I agree w you...that is why I posted initially under the forum to get some feedback from more experienced boaters/ parker owners. It seems like an engine issue to me but by running the boat as they recommended will eliminate this argument by dealer and all. I will then seek remedy under Yamaha warranty.
I don't blame you. I have 2 Parker boats. A 2801 and 23 Deep Vee. The 2801 has OX66 2 strokes (Love them) and the 23 has 250 four stoke. I have never had an issue with overheating no matter how the engines are trimmed. The 2801 has 18" trim blades on it and that still hasn't mattered.

Back