I got my first ever tow, and now the eye located on the bow is damaged! Proper repair advice, please.

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Island Dreamer

Reaction score
Engine broke down coming home from Catalina and called Boat tow us and asked for a tow. Guy said he was going to try to tow me at high speed and I was shocked when we hit 21 mph cruising back to the harbor. At the harbor I noticed that my u-shaped eye threaded into the bow was damaged.
I removed everything out of the Anchor locker and got a better look at it. The lower bolt and threaded portion was pushed into the fiberglass and wood. It looks like I’m gonna need to extract this one, properly, fill it, then relocate the new eye hook.
It does appear that there is good solid material. Still located below the factory installed point. I just need advice on how to fill the old holes before I go drilling in the new one.

Attachments

• IMG_7683.jpeg
    IMG_7683.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_7683.jpeg
    IMG_7683.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Engine broke down coming home from Catalina and called Boat tow us and asked for a tow. Guy said he was going to try to tow me at high speed and I was shocked when we hit 21 mph cruising back to the harbor. At the harbor I noticed that my u-shaped eye threaded into the bow was damaged.
I removed everything out of the Anchor locker and got a better look at it. The lower bolt and threaded portion was pushed into the fiberglass and wood. It looks like I’m gonna need to extract this one, properly, fill it, then relocate the new eye hook.
It does appear that there is good solid material. Still located below the factory installed point. I just need advice on how to fill the old holes before I go drilling in the new one.
I am dumb-founded that Tow Boat/US would tow a boat at speed/on plane. That breaks every rule in the book. There are very few (any?) boats with bow-eyes built to withstand towing at speed..... With that said, I'd take this opportunity to fiberglass/epoxy- reinforce the area around the bow-eye. I'd do more than just fill the existing holes.

Hard way but better result:
  • Clean out existing holes
  • grind away gel coat on the inside around those holes and surrounding area to add new layers of fiberglass (maybe 8" x 8")
  • Clean it all up then tape the outside
  • Fill the holes with thixo or similar
  • After that sets, run a few layers of fiberglass on the inside to reinforce everything
  • Fillet the area with thixo to make a flat area for washers to sit (could also have a steel backer plate made with the angle built into it and stop here)
  • This is already a ton of work so add a couple more layers of fiberglass to the fillet
  • redrill holes for eye hook
  • paint exposed fiberglass
  • reinstall with backer plate or large washers.
Easy way:
  • Fill the holes with thixo
  • pick a spot a little higher or lower to drill new holes for eye hook and attach

I have seen many boats towed from Catalina, but none were being towed on plane. That must have been a site to see....

I've been towed on plane from CG a LONG time ago. It was a 28 Trogin. They grab ya and Getty Up GO.

Above talked about "Washers". No to washers.... It needs a plate fitted properly.... After it's been reinforced with fiberglass.

I reworked it on my boat. I used alum angle.

Inspect the Bow eye closely after it's removed. NOTE: While Bow eyes may Look the same.... I assure you... They come in a LOT of different measurements. Diameter is the easy part.... center to center is what you need to pay attention to and then there is shaft length also. 316 series stainless to be sure it doesn't weep rust.

Attachments

• 100_5103.JPG
    100_5103.JPG
    127.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_5104.JPG
    100_5104.JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 0
Back