Led Rope lighting...

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcyc

Reaction score
I have researched older posts on people doing the under gunwale led rope lighting, and I would like to do red lighting for those early morning starts. I have no electrical experience with boating what-so-ever. I would like to run the lighting to my helm/ navigation light switch. Does anyone have a crude drawing or instructions on how to run all of the wiring? I noticed members posted these in the past but the pictures appear to have expired, all I get is the red “x” in the box. Thanks in advance.

My Walmart sells a 120vac LED ropelight in white, blue and red. Strings can be combined end to end, each string only uses 9 watts. I power mine with a tiny inverter that wasn't good for much else. When I want the lights on, I flip the inverter on.
IMAG0522.jpg

Are there LED strip lighting
That are for marine application or just generic
I am just asking because I'm thinking of doing this also
And I didn't know if they had a High quality brand for marine use

Check out http://www.coastalnightlights.com
I installed both red (to preserve night vision) and white (for boarding) with switches to choose color. You buy as many sections as you need and they plug together. They're 12 volt and easy to install with ringed cable ties.

DOES THE ROPE LIGHTS REALLY LITE YOUR DECK UP ENOUGH TO SEE THAT WELL?THINKING ABOUT PUTTING ON MY BOAT FOR NIGHT FISHING.iVE BEEN USING A LANTERN TO TYE UP RIGGS AND BAITING.

PARKER01":2mqwok01 said:
DOES THE ROPE LIGHTS REALLY LITE YOUR DECK UP ENOUGH TO SEE THAT WELL?
How's this for you?
IMG_4966-1.jpg

See this post: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=7483

OH, AND WRITING IN ALL CAPS IS HARD TO READ AND PEOPLE THINK YOU'RE YELLING ... we don't want any yelling here ;)

Thanks for pic,I wont yell anymore.Just a bad habit with caps.Placing order today with Coastal Night Lites.Thanks again

Has anyone else read the latest on night lighting suggesting that dim white is actually better than red?

jeffnick":kx0nfg6h said:
Has anyone else read the latest on night lighting suggesting that dim white is actually better than red?

Have not read anything about that, but red has long been used to retain night vision and avoid glare at night, but there might be better colors available these days.

Many years ago, we used to spray paint the overhead light bulbs and the map book light bulbs in our fire apparatus red for that very reason.
It preserved night vision and didn't mess with the drivers vision while you were looking up the address in the map book while hustling down the road at night.

Not certain, but I think aircraft used the same red backlighting for the same reason. Any pilots here that can verify that?

More recently blue has been used for many of those same reasons, at least on boats.
I have limited time on boats with blue lights but they seemed to me to be 'brighter' than red.
I have red cockpit lighting on my boat.

With LED technology maturing... almost any color is possible these days. :)

jeffnick":e60z7ov2 said:
I believe that it is not the color that is critical to preserve night vision ... but the wavelength. In your eye, the rods in your retina are the most sensitive, but their detection frequency is below that of red lights or LEDs, so in effect they can't "see" red light. Blast your eyes with a really bright red light and you'll still have your night vision when that light is turned off.

Some say the "red only" is a myth, yet then I see pages saying green or blue are a myth ... as far as being the best.

FACT - you can actually use a really super dim light of ANY color and still somewhat preserve your night vision. But I'll stick with red :) .

Has anyone mounted these under the gunnel of a center console. If so, I am assuming they powered off an accessory switch. Where did you run the wiring to get to the accessory switch...

Here is my first thought:

Back through the dive holes above the 2 back "seats" which house the batteries, then snaked up through the console where all other cables come through?

Seems like a simple job?

(PS - i am awful with electronics)

jeffnick":2bs69qo8 said:
You know, I admit I found that while looking into this topic, and I read it 2-3 times, but it still doesn't jump out to me with any one firm conclusion ... other than wavelength and intensity (of any color) impacts the potential to temporarily harm one's night vision. That's why for me ... red works.

I think the blues and greens are more of a fad and to "be different" than just using red. But I have used a blue-green with good results, but it wasn't my flashlight. And now that I think of it, the owner was ex-Mil.

Does anyone have thoughts how these would be run to an accessory switch on a CC?

Assuming lights run under gunnels..

Back