Marine Radio Parker 2530

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Parker family,
I'm planning to install a second marine VHF radio on my Parker 2530 and would love to hear your suggestions on the best location for it. Current radio is mounted on the ceiling starboard side. If you have any photos of your own setups, that would be incredibly helpful too!

Thanks in advance for your tips and pictures!

Attachments

• IMG_8856.jpeg
    IMG_8856.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 3
Thanks. I will look into that area to see if theres plenty of space. Also any recommended marine radio? Currently I have garmin electronics
I’m a fan of Icom products, but I can’t say I’ve had a problem with any of them. I tend to be a bit more suspicious of the ones marketed by the big names- Simrad, Garmin, Raymarine, etc. just because they feel like “add ons” to their product line, vs. Icom or Standard Horizon that have been making radios forever. But, that’s just a personal feeling; no real evidence to back that up.

I like the Standard Horizon Best...WHY? Because it has the Smallest Footprint. Equal Power to the rest, Big numbers to easily read and yet the smallest box.

Look at model GX1400G..... Has built in GPS, so no wiring to run to your GPS.

IMG_3933.jpegHello Parker family,
I'm planning to install a second marine VHF radio on my Parker 2530 and would love to hear your suggestions on the best location for it. Current radio is mounted on the ceiling starboard side. If you have any photos of your own setups, that would be incredibly helpful too!

Hello Parker family,

Why, would be my first question. A good hand held would be less expensive. If you are going that far off shore or are in a remote area with no cell phone coverage, why not a satellite phone? The less wires, antennas, and built in electronics - the better!

Hello Parker family,

Hi Capt. Lakay, For performance, most all brands of the VHF radios are fine; but the antenna choice will have a lot to do with the performance. Our last boats had 18' tall, 9db antennas, and could reach out well over 40 miles. On our 25' Parkers, an 8' 6db is a better choice because of the smaller size boat. (The 'less stable' motion). Here's a shot of our ICOM IC-M412, mounted over head. I also have a Standard Horizon HX300 hand-held as a back up mounted in a holder to the right of the engine controls. I like the ICOM but have also owned base unit Standard Horizon and even an old Apelco that were 'low-budget' units (1983 era unit, that is still working, in a friends boat; I gave it to him 10 years ago)....
1716644400110.png

Mounted my back up below the binnacle. Its been a minute, but I think this one had to be hooked up to stbd antenna due to the length of the cord so measure that out if you’re considering this.

Attachments

• IMG_8902.jpeg
    IMG_8902.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Why, would be my first question. A good hand held would be less expensive. If you are going that far off shore or are in a remote area with no cell phone coverage, why not a satellite phone? The less wires, antennas, and built in electronics - the better!
I’ll disagree with most of what you’ve said. A handheld VHF, while cheaper, is limited to 5 watts of transmit power. A fixed mount VHF has up to 25 watts, which means that when paired with the proper antenna, it has an incredibly longer effective transmit range.

Why have two radios? A couple reasons. The most obvious is to be able to monitor multiple channels simultaneously, since all vessels with a functional VHF installation are required to monitor CH16 at all times. I find the scan function on most recreational-grade VHFs to be pretty poor, hence, two radios- one for CH16 hailing/distress, one for a working channel, whether broadcast, whatever. Another good reason is redundancy, of course, but modern electronics are pretty reliable so this is less critical than in past days.

There’s plenty of near-shore areas with good shore station VHF coverage where VHF communications are perfectly feasible within about 40 miles offshore. You may not be able to hear the shore station, but they can usually hear you. Combine that with a DSC distress message, and VHF remains very viable as a means of distress signaling close to shore. A satellite phone in this situation isn’t necessary, and also usually represents a significant and recurring expense- there’s a good case to be made for InReach-style satellite communicators, but they’re still pricey and require a subscription.

I’ll also disagree with your statement: “ The less wires, antennas, and built in electronics - the better!” As a whole, a permanently mounted, properly installed piece of communications equipment, when installed as part of a well designed, well maintained electrical system, is a far more reliable piece of gear than smaller handheld devices that need to be charged, can be dropped or left at home, etc. There’s no downside to having additional or backup permanently installed equipment, aside from cost.

Wrong all the way around
I’ll disagree with most of what you’ve said. A handheld VHF, while cheaper, is limited to 5 watts of transmit power. A fixed mount VHF has up to 25 watts, which means that when paired with the proper antenna, it has an incredibly longer effective transmit range.

Why have two radios? A couple reasons. The most obvious is to be able to monitor multiple channels simultaneously, since all vessels with a functional VHF installation are required to monitor CH16 at all times. I find the scan function on most recreational-grade VHFs to be pretty poor, hence, two radios- one for CH16 hailing/distress, one for a working channel, whether broadcast, whatever. Another good reason is redundancy, of course, but modern electronics are pretty reliable so this is less critical than in past days.

There’s plenty of near-shore areas with good shore station VHF coverage where VHF communications are perfectly feasible within about 40 miles offshore. You may not be able to hear the shore station, but they can usually hear you. Combine that with a DSC distress message, and VHF remains very viable as a means of distress signaling close to shore. A satellite phone in this situation isn’t necessary, and also usually represents a significant and recurring expense- there’s a good case to be made for InReach-style satellite communicators, but they’re still pricey and require a subscription.

I’ll also disagree with your statement: “ The less wires, antennas, and built in electronics - the better!” As a whole, a permanently mounted, properly installed piece of communications equipment, when installed as part of a well designed, well maintained electrical system, is a far more reliable piece of gear than smaller handheld devices that need to be charged, can be dropped or left at home, etc. There’s no downside to having additional or backup permanently installed equipment, aside from cost.
glad I read on to see this post! He is correct on the thread… all boats should have two radios!! One on 16 and the othe on whatever every other boat is using in your area…. Hand helds are useless…
However getting a garmin inreach will make you never lose service and text freedom! I’ve seen mics go bad … antennas.. and radios! Always have a backup to the backup

Wrong all the way around

glad I read on to see this post! He is correct on the thread… all boats should have two radios!! One on 16 and the othe on whatever every other boat is using in your area…. Hand helds are useless…
However getting a garmin inreach will make you never lose service and text freedom! I’ve seen mics go bad … antennas.. and radios! Always have a backup to the backup
How far do you carry this? Do you tow a duplicate boat?

I agree with pelagic 2530. I do my boating in NJ out of the Sandy Hook area. I own a 1994 1800CC that over the last few years have upgraded. I usually go between 20 to 30 miles off shore to the mid range tuna grounds on the good days. I have been boating since I was very young. I know how to read the weather being that I was a private pilot . I have 3 VHF radios all 3 Standard Horizon. The third one is in my ditch bag just in case. I monitor channel 16 at all times on the one and scan the fishing channel on the other. Few years ago my son and I headed off to the tuna grounds around 5 AM. I performed a safety check of radios and my EPIRP. My EPIRP was malfunctioning which I did not know so I heard on channel 16 the coast guard calling me to see if I was in distress. I was still in my slip. The point of my story is SAFETY!! Two radios with the correct electronics and antennas will give you the safety you need. I also have a 4 man life raft just in case. Anyway be careful and safe. Definitely get that second radio and a backup handheld. Good luck.

Back