New boat has landed!

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I fully understand that! If you go with twins it will cost you about 30k more and double to maintain. I fish a lot in the bay and close to shore as well, I went with the big single for these reasons. I won't have many concerns running off to the edge with a new 300 yami

Lucky John":ffde622f said:
shawnee, the area you speak of is Beach Haven West. There has been alot of activity there since Sandy struck. I was considering a move, but I paid my house off ten minutes away inland and still enjoying no mortage payments :mrgreen:
With any luck I should be splashing mid March. Striper and Drum pics to follow :wink:

That's the place. Couldn't remember the name as it's been quite a few years. Looking forward to those fish pics. I'm hoping to be back at it about then also. Plan on doing a few projects between now and mid March myself. I lived in Medford Lakes by the way. Shawnee HS 83. ID decoded. :D

Lucky John":21siclv9 said:
How did you wind up down there then? Job?

Sort of. Long story. Had kind of a split world growing up. Father is from Burlington and Mother from Bristol. Dad worked for RCA back in the day so we moved several times. All my relatives are from PA and NJ, Fathers brother lived in Ventnor.... Retired cop VFW etc.. Father worked at Redstone in AL during Apallo and I was born there. Then NC, Charlotte, until HS. His old NJ business contacts offered him a job so that's how I ended up in Medford. With the exception of a few yrs stayed in NJ until I was 29. Went to Rutgers Camden, worked in Pennsauken, lived in Collingswood before going back down to NC. Several of my oldest and best friends still live in Medford. I'm due for a visit soon to see them. My one friends parents had a furniture business in Ship Bottom. He and I used to deliver that stuff all over the area on the weekends as a second job. Good memories.

If you want to wet a line when you come down let me know, we can go kill whatever is running at the time :wink:

Lucky John":1fzoadrd said:
If you want to wet a line when you come down let me know, we can go kill whatever is running at the time :wink:

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it if time permits. Same to you if you are ever in the Beaufort/Morehead City area.

Finished haggling over electronics at the AC Boat Show. Hopefully the items will appear on my porch soon and rigging can start.Went with the following.
Garmin 1040xs
18XHD Radar
Garmin VHF 200
Garmin Auto Pilot
all brackets etc needed for rigging, won't be long now :mrgreen:

John,what's the difference between your model and the 740xs.Is it just the size of screen or are there other differences.What made you choose Garmin.

The basic difference is screen size. They have recently dropped the pricing on the 740's and 841. Garmin has now come out with 7610 & 7612xvs which are both touch screen units. I stayed with Garmin because of familarity and customer service. Whenever I had a problem Garmin customer service has been top notch.
The only negative thing I can say is that their charts are not as well developed as Navionics. Going offshore the garmin charts do not show as much contour etc.
Things are a little easier now if switching brands though, you can put all your waypoints in a GPX file and have the ability to transfer them to almost any unit. Last year I was on two friends boats who had Furuno and Simrad. Although the Simrad seemed a bit easier to use than Furuno, they both would take a good learning curve. With the 1040 it is a button unit and I have a good idea how to use it.

Thanks John, I have a Garmin 741 with radar,no HD.I got the boat last Jan. and the radar doesn't work.Garmin wants $400.00 to look at it.I don't know if it's worth it to send it to them or not.I don't know how out dated the 741 is.Big decision.

Mark Sr":v4kmh809 said:
Thanks John, I have a Garmin 741 with radar,no HD.I got the boat last Jan. and the radar doesn't work.Garmin wants $400.00 to look at it.I don't know if it's worth it to send it to them or not.I don't know how out dated the 741 is.Big decision.

What is the problem you are having with your radar? Error message? Sometimes an update will make it work correctly...............let me know, I have overcome some error messages without having to spend the 400 dollar flat fee rate.
I also notice the last couple of springs the radar would give me some problems which was most likely caused by condesation from shrink wrapping.

I get no signal at all.It blows the fuse back at the battery in the power wire.If we unplug the wire and put in a new fuse it doesn't blow until we plug it in.It must be the circuit board but the inside looks brand new.Then we were thinking data cord but the garmin guy at the boat show told my son that wouldn't be the problem.I guess when the weather breaks we'll mess with it some more.

Sounds like a short. Check wires out thoroughly before you send the unit in for repair which would most likely be a trade with a remanufactured unit.

Back