Parker Sport Cabin - Anchor Line Jamming

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Pulling in the anchor line into that little covered hole is very frustrating as the anchor line is not heavy enough to fall down into the locker, thus causing it to pile up and jam. Does anyone have a fix for this? Would a windlass solve this issue or would it be the same issue?

Pulling in the anchor line into that little covered hole is very frustrating as the anchor line is not heavy enough to fall down into the locker, thus causing it to pile up and jam. Does anyone have a fix for this? Would a windlass solve this issue or would it be the same issue?
One 'fix' (or improvement) could be to re-locate the hole over the top of the deeper part of the anchor-rode locker.... It can also 'pile up and jam' with a windlass, so the windlass won't solve the problem. The type of line also plays a role. Older, and/or stiff, 3-strand line is worse than supple, softer braided line, that lays flatter.

What Andy said.... :) You can soften up that old line ..... Use a cooler.....Put the anchor line in it. Water and fabric softner with make it supple.
It's always a pain sticking your line back thru a 3in deck hole..... On ANY brand boat. Parker was notorious for not building a large enough anchor locker. I made mine Bigger. Start at THIS Page. https://www.classicparker.com/threads/my-95-2530.12419/page-19

What Andy said.... :) You can soften up that old line ..... Use a cooler.....Put the anchor line in it. Water and fabric softner with make it supple.
It's always a pain sticking your line back thru a 3in deck hole..... On ANY brand boat. Parker was notorious for not building a large enough anchor locker. I made mine Bigger. Start at THIS Page. https://www.classicparker.com/threads/my-95-2530.12419/page-19
Hi Wart, Agree on the fabric-softener solution, at least for some made with certain types of nylon. Over the years I've soaked a some dock lines and anchor rodes, and with some the fabric softener helped a lot; with others it didn't do as well. An old article in, if I remember correctly, Practical Sailor, described the different brands of lines/rodes and noted the different chemical make-up of the types of nylon that they used. Some 'by chemistry' were more supple than others. So, if someone tries the fabric-softener procedure on their anchor rode and doesn't get great results, try it on a couple dock lines and see how they do. Then, stick with the brand that uses the better nylon. If I can find that article, I'll post it here on CP..

8 plate rode will fall much better. If using windless, go with as much chain as you can stand(100 to 150’ then rode) and you won’t have this issue. JMO

go with as much chain as you can stand(100 to 150’ then rode) and you won’t have this issue.

GEEEZ.! I've Never heard of that much chain in a boat this size. I can see why you don't have problems..... ALL that Weight squashing the rode down...LOL At .75lb per ft = 75lbs

I guess if your in a REALLY rocky bottom area ? I'm Not..... 99% Sandy Bottom.

I usually recommend and this is in 1/4 G4 for a windless.... 1ft of chain for every 1ft of hull length.

All sandy bottom her in the outer banks Wart. I used 100’ chain and 125’ of 8 plate. I was concerned with having enough room in the locker or would have done more. I ended up with plenty of room and should have gone with at least 150/175’ of the rode. Yes, the chain pushes it all down and has prevented any jams so far. The 8 plate really falls/folds nicely too without coiling up. Purchased all custom rigged from Dark Horse Marine in Clearwater FL and they shipped it to me in NC. Very nice ppl. 90+ percent of my anchoring is backing into a beach, sometimes somewhat crowded. I’ve seen to many folks struggling with the chain and rode transition jumping out of the gypsy and fowling. My set up stays on chain 99% of the time and it functions flawlessly in the 2 seasons I’ve used it. I was willing to live with the extra weight up front for the function. I did crunch the math prior to on weight. She doesn’t seem to mind it. Also, I rigged shackle to anchor and then to 2 links of chain. Then swivel to link of chain with other end to main chain. If you pull up over the anchor, this rig prevents the swivel from side loading on the anchor and breaking at the connection. This rig also helps with the anchor righting itself better coming into the pocket. Hope this helps others.

Attachments

• IMG_0654.png
    IMG_0654.png
    5.4 MB
  • IMG_0653.png
    IMG_0653.png
    3.5 MB
  • IMG_0652.png
    IMG_0652.png
    186.5 KB
Last edited:
Back