rod/reel combo

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WAJSKI

Reaction score
I am planing a trip to NC/SC in APRIL need to buy a rod reel combo 1. spin or cast 2. don't wan't to spend a lot 3. I will be fishing from a boat, any help salt water guys thanks. :?

idk about a rod but I have a penn fierce 8000 and its AWESOME. The looks are amazing also. :D I have it on a shakspere sturdy stik. hope i helped :mrgreen:

Not trying to be funny but if you are going 10-20 miles out in April to be sure you already have rods and an idea of what you are going out there for. If you are going out on someone else's boat. Do they have rods and an idea of what you may be needing?

I ve been come a huge fan of the Trevalo rod paired up with a Avet JX if you are jigging for Tuna out there.

I went this weekend on a party boat and was the only one who caught one out of my group, the penn fierce was great with the sturdy stik

cpenrose, cogratulations on the catch and great choice on the Penn. You cant go wrong with reels which have a proven reel manufacturing reputation. Ill be heading out to Teach's Lair Hatt NC this weekend, hopefully Ill encounter same luck.

Chief C":1vu77ym8 said:
cpenrose, cogratulations on the catch and great choice on the Penn. You cant go wrong with reels which have a proven reel manufacturing reputation.

Except the ones made in China. :roll:

Bryan, Unfortunately and regrettably that is reality. The days of made in the USA are quickly eroding especially with the current administration and congressional policies. We are so much in debt to china I don't foresee any changes in the near future, every time we print more more money we devalue the dollar further, hence our dollar to debt ratio increases. Many of the new reel companies made in the US cannot compete with reduced cost of mfg in china. For example, what many of the reel mfg's are doing is contracting out the production of machined parts in china and assembly is performed in US, hence they may claim made in the US, but they by no means have the years of experience nor the capital and the reels which are made in the US are no where near the same cost (Accurate/Avet to name a few).

Agreed, that is why when I buy a Penn, it will be an older one of craiglist or local swap meets, tackle shops, etc.
Easily rebuilt if needed. (probably with Chinese parts) :(

Unfortunate, but that is how it is.

You are correct, the older Penns are the ticket. I have transitioned over to Accurates and cannot say anything bad about them except for the price, but like you, I patiently wait for the deals. Surprised you didn't bite on the 3 Penn 245 LD's I posted they are animal reels, simple design, made in the US and no longer in production (they always discontinue what works). They are compact in size compared to other Penn LD's, but with lots of ass. A lot of people wanted me to part them, but I guess I didn't really want to see them go because they are still part of my arsenal.

Tight Lines.

About Penn reels,

Sad but true there is actually no more Penn , in fact it has be sold three times in 10 years , All that is left is the name Penn , they are part of the conglomerate " PURE FISHING" and all of the reels come from the PFluger factory !!!! (an old american company that went to china over 20 years ago )!!!

the INTERNATIONAL series are still made in USA for now (PENN INT INC) a small little building where they "assemble" and do some light machine work.

DO NOT BELIEVE most companies if they say made in USA unless you can tour the actual factory, for example "SEEKER" rods say made in USA no more now they say "Assembled" in USA !!!!

MY company invloves me buying into an existing mfg. and creating my own parts and or models based on the way i choose to make them.

For example my new CER3200 is a true CNC aluminum levelwind with STAINLESS gears and 6ARB bearings plus one ....all for $130 !!!!

No fancy marketing scheme , no distributors in the middle !!!!

Shimano is multi country, Malaysia, china,taiwan, and a little in Japan

The industry is mostly in China for many reasons,

1) The USA is strict on pollution control (lead, anodizing, chrome plating) and this cost to build a "GREEN" factory would make most reels $$$$ (look at Accurate in "plain aluminum" there is a reason !!!!!!

2)THE INDUSTRY STARTED THERE ...yes way back in 1230 AD the chinese were busy inventing the paddle wheel fishing reel for fishing (visit the smithsonian to view the ancient scroll depicting the reel)
The Italians in the 1400's went there and returned with the reels , which made their way west , then the French develped a reel ...then the English , who put them on boats and brought them here !!!!

3) I call it the "Wal-MART effect......u want cheap u go else where .....BLAME YOURSELVES...if you shop for bargains atthese Giants.....they buy and sell very little USA products

If some one wants to kick in about 2 million i'd be happy to build my factory here .....let me now it will only raise the price of my reels about 200% !!!!

WE live in a world economy now and the WWW makes it a small place ....look around we are a disposable economy consumer!!!

Reality is gas is $5 a gallon and we have to save $ some how !!!!

That said here are a few sneak previews of my reels ...and here is a list of dealers:

Mass:

Bucko's Bait & Tackle
191 Stafford Road Fall River, MA 02721
(508) 674-7900

Falmouth Bait & Tackle Co
258 Teaticket Hwy # 1 Teaticket, MA 02536
(508) 457-0700

Surfland Bait & Tackle
28 Plum Island Turnpike Newbury, MA 01951
(978) 462-4202

Conn:

Newtown Bait and Tackle