Seastar steering troubleshooting

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfjones3

Reaction score
hello all
I have a great 2014 Parker 21se with a Yamaha 150. I started having trouble with my steering a while back, it’s a sea star hydraulic system, it was seemingly exhibiting symptoms of having air in the system, I would have to turn the the wheel several rotation before it would respond making driving very squirrelly. I purchased a standard bubble purge kit and was getting a lot of fuild leaking out from behind the bleeder valve so I replaced them and purged the system, the fluid coming out was clean and I did move a bunch of air bubbles out. It responded decently the first trip out after purging but this week after I took it out going in reverse out of the dock the wheel didn’t catch after several turns. Later on the steering seemed to improve and at higher rpms I don’t really notice it to much, around 1500-2000rpms it can be very squishy, I frequently have to make adjustments bc I’m overcorrecting when I try to keep a heading at these speeds. I don’t appreciate any fluid leaks at the helm or cylinder. Is this likely a bad helm or are there other things I could try before replacing the helm?

How does the steering cylinder bar look? If there is pitting or even minor scratches, it could be letting tiny amounts of air pass past the seals.

Back