Towing an 1801

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beanctr

Reaction score
I have a 21' 1801 with a Yamaha 115 and the two wheel aluminum/steel Parker trailer.

I am guessing the whole rig weights about 3600Lbs. (Can anyone confirm the weight?)

I have a 23' 2-door 3.6ltr Jeep Wrangler with a Class II hitch and was wondering if anyone has trailered the 1801 with a 2-door Wrangler.

I only need to go a few miles to my ramp but there are a few hills. Speed limit 25mph.

Any experience with this?

thanks Rick

I pulled my 1801 with my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee with 4.0 fulltime AWD

Steep hills you say? Better have trailer brakes and a trans cooler.

Last edited:
I have a 21' 1801 with a Yamaha 115 and the two wheel aluminum/steel Parker trailer.

I am guessing the whole rig weights about 3600Lbs. (Can anyone confirm the weight?)

I have a 23' 2-door 3.6ltr Jeep Wrangler with a Class II hitch and was wondering if anyone has trailered the 1801 with a 2-door Wrangler.

I only need to go a few miles to my ramp but there are a few hills. Speed limit 25mph.

thanks Rick
you'll be just fine!

thanks Rick
For a couple miles at low speed, you’ll be just fine. What’s the listed towing capacity of that Jeep?

Why? Ha its an 18 ft boats he's not going long distances.
The two-door models have a maximum towing capacity of 2,000 lbs.
I'm not saying I've never done it but Sh!t happens.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has stated that more than 50 percent of all car crashes happen within 25 miles of drivers' homes.
Regardless of how close the ramp is, Towing out of class, improperly equipped and secured leaves a lot of meat on the bone for the lawyers.

Biggest issue is the short wheelbase of the 2 door jeep. You have enough power to pull, but less control of weight shifting and being pushed by the trailer around corners and for stopping. Downhill you'll probably feel the trailer trying to push you around when you brake. And I'd upgrade the hitch to something class 3 or 4.

But for short distances I would personally be comfortable pulling it, just with caution. Especially until you get a feel for downhill and corners.

And hopefully it's not a slick ramp.

Thanks for the replies. Yes, the listed towing capacity is 2000lbs, the 4-door is 3500lbs. My 4-Runner was 5000lbs and didn't seem much more powerful than the Jeep.
I've also seen some references to Jeeps in Europe having a higher towing capacity.

Rick

Towing that rig with a 2-door Wrangler might be tight, especially with hills. Your guess on weight is probably close. I've seen folks do it with similar setups, but it's definitely pushing it. Consider renting a small truck for those few miles if you're worried about it. Safety first, man!

I would keep the car in 4th gear to prevent the transmission from gear hunting.

Crisis averted. My wife has a 21' Honda Passport AWD. Apparently, this car can tow 5000lbs.

Got a bolt on class III hitch for $200 and I'm set. Thanks all. R

Crisis averted. My wife has a 21' Honda Passport AWD. Apparently, this car can tow 5000lbs.

Got a bolt on class III hitch for $200 and I'm set. Thanks all. R
Make sure its got the transmission cooler - our Honda Pilot requires the cooler to bump the tow capacity to 5K - We tow a 23SE with it

Back