Trouble Shoot Engine & Advice

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dleopoldi914

Reaction score
I went out last week and the engine started run rough when I was fishing. I thought it was maybe water in the fuel. I was like ok I will run boat back to the dock and maybe it will clear up.

I ran it back to the dock. When I was in the harbor, the harbor watch boat followed me all the way to my marina. He said when I passed him a sheen of gas passed his boat. I lost a significant amount of gas.

I checked all the connections under the cowling and all were in place and I didn't feel any wetness. I leaked a good amount of gas so I would assume if It was a connection would of felt it.

Finally I checked my bilge and my water fuel separator and cup filter on the engine. I isolated the leak to where the vent is from the VST.

I had Boat US tow me to the ramp the following day and I put my boat on the trailer to take to the Yamaha dealer I work with.

When I get there the mechanic mentioned sometimes the bouncing from the trailering unfrees the stuck float in the VST.

Engine is a 2021 yamaha f150 and the boat is a parker 21se.

I was at 430 hours and planned to service the VST filters end of year (Yamaha recommends 500 hours) so I tell him while he is in there to do the vst service.

I get a call the next day that the needle was not stuck and that he ran the boat in the test tank and no fuel leaked. He said maybe the trailering unstuck it.

I asked about well if the needle is stuck is there a chance the needle is bad? He mentioned that hes never seen one go bad.

I asked about what I should do differently? He responded it seemed like the gas was good and that you treating it with ring free is the right thing.

I asked about bad pumps and honestly what I am thinking is a bad pump would of been restricted fuel and not over spraying fuel like the engine was doing.

My buddy mentioned maybe the ECM? He said that controls fuel flow somewhat. Can it be that maybe?

I don't want to second guess the professionals but at the same time I am not confident I won't have this issue again. I guess maybe the only thing is now I understand it so I will stop the boat immediately if it runs rough an get towed back. I also now have a documented incident with a reputable repair shop so I would assume they would make good if I have the same issue.

What do you guys think?

Also in the service manual does it have diagrams to how to change the vst filters? If it does anyone know where I can find that manual for my engine. I've found some videos but its not exactly my generation of engine and don't want to go down that road and its different.

When you buy a manual...... ONLY buy a "Factory" manual. No aftermarket manuals.

If you do....buy a aftermarket one....You will end up buying a Factory manual to get ALL the info.

Just buy the Factory manual in the beginning.... Yes...It costs more....It has more info and you will not be pissing the $$$ away on a aftermarket one.

When you buy a manual...... ONLY buy a "Factory" manual. No aftermarket manuals.

If you do....buy a aftermarket one....You will end up buying a Factory manual to get ALL the info.

Just buy the Factory manual in the beginning.... Yes...It costs more....It has more info and you will not be pissing the $$$ away on a aftermarket one.
Thank you I found one and very educational.

The only thing I notice it’s missing is it doesn’t have part numbers for the things in the diagrams

Back