Bilge Crack

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcyc

Reaction score
I was cleaning my boat yesterday and found a carck located near my bilge pump. Can someone help me post pictures of the damage. Once i get the pictures up can you guys give me an idea of how bad the damage is.

The hull isn't cracked.

You got some water into that plywood mounting pad; the water froze; plywood expanded; and fiberglass over the wood cracked. But again, the wood isn't part of the hull. It is just a mounting platform for pumps.

here are the pictures you emailed to me

Attachments

• bilge parker.jpg
    bilge parker.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 1,087
  • bilge parker2.jpg
    bilge parker2.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,152
Three things you can do:

1) Ignore it (again, the crack isn't structural)
2) Put a thin "smear" of 5200 across the crack so that no additional water gets in there and makes the matter worse.
3) remove the pump and switch; take a grinder in there, remove all of the damaged wood and glass; keep rtemoving all wood until you find prefectly dry wood (might be the entire pad); replace the removed portion; and re-glass and tab back to the hull.

I would probably do #3 but only beacuse I have the tools and materials to do at my easy disposal. It is only a 2-hr job if you have the tools.

#3 it is. Thanks guys again for all the help. I got a little nervous that i might miss Striper season.

nothing to worry about.........just a scrap piece of plywood that is glassed in to be used to screw equipment into.

something screwed into it wasn't sealed properly and allowed a little moisture to get past the screw and into the wood. i personally would remove everything screwed into it, grind out and bevel the crack, then fill with gelcoat, brush gelcoat over the whole pad, and sand. never know it was there.

properly seal the screws when you reinstall everything.

FWIW if you remove the plywood pad, there is about a 1/8 or so air gap between the bottom of the plywood pad and the solid glass hull underneath.

I had to make a similar repair on my old Grady...

1. Cut the top skin off the block and pop the block from the hull.

IMG_69131.jpg

IMG_69151.jpg

2. Grind the area to prep it for the bedding of a new block and a layer of glass over it. I had to go larger on my repair area as I had a crack under the block and wanted to lay down lots of glass to make sure it was strong. Your's won't be near this bad.

IMG_69461.jpg

3. Cut the new block, position the pump & float switch, mark the location of the screws, drill screw holes oversize and fill w/ thickened epoxy.

IMG_69451.jpg

4. Bed the new block in epoxy thickened w/ cabosil and then put one or two layers of glass over it. I think I used one layer of light mat and one layer of 12 oz. cloth. Probably more than was really necessary.

IMG_7001.jpg

IMG_7002.jpg

5. Sand the area once cured and drill the screw pilot holes before the next step. That way you can still see the epoxy plugs and can hit them dead center.

IMG_7003.jpg

6. Gelcoat.

IMG_7004.jpg

7. Drill your final screw holes and bed the pump and float switch with your favorite caulking. Should should be able to at least see dimples in the gelcoat where your pilot holes are.

gw204":g9ynr7fg said:
I had to make a similar repair on my old Grady...

7. Drill your final screw holes and bed the pump and float switch with your favorite caulking. Should should be able to at least see dimples in the gelcoat where your pilot holes are.
That's the perfect way to do it. Bra-freakin'-vo!

Damn, Bryan - I wish there was someone around here that did work that nice. I'd have a few projects for them!

It seems that anytime I have ANYONE do ANYTHING on our boat, one thing gets fixed and two or three things get screwed up.

(most recent example - kicker installed, but fuel gauge & FloScan quit working). Aaaaargh!

Thanks for the kind words guys.

I have another GW at the house I'm working on for a friend. General stuff like thru-hull replacment, deck hatch rebedding, bilge pump replacment, etc. And wouldn't you know it, another rotten bilge pump block. :?

This is my favorite though...

0301011749c.jpg

A hole bored completely through the inner skin and into the core of a brand new transom in order to accomodate a plastic scupper that was too short. Nice work, by a "professional" shop here in Solmons, 'eh????

Wow... Instead of using the correct part, extra time was spent to "make it fit".
Remind me to never use that shop.

They at least knew how to bed an improperly sized scupper. I had a heck of a time getting them out and there were no signs of water intrusion.

Just finished another pump block last night...

IMG_8573.jpg

For this one, I used some scrap wood left over from the first one I did. It wasn't long enough, so I had to epoxy two pieces together and the width was just barely enough to accomodate the float switch and pump base, so I couldn't cut the 45 degree bevel on the long sides. Not a big deal though. After laying a few thin strips of glass in the very bottom of the V, I put down the block using resin thickened w/ cabosil. Using the excess that squeezed out the sides when I pressed it in place, I was able to form a fillet down each side and create the bevel. It's this bevel that will allow the top layers of glass to conform w/ no voids.

I covered the block w/ a layer of 3/4 oz mat, followed by a layer of 6 oz cloth, and then a second layer of 3/4 oz. mat. In order to make it easy to find the mounting holes, I stuck a toothpick in each.

IMG_8576.jpg

Since I was using vinylester resin for this one, I was able to put down the gelcoat before full cure was achieved. Note that that toothpicks are only useful when you don't break them off during this stage... :? No big deal though, it will be easy to find the one I broke off simply by positioning the float switch based on the non-broken toothpick.

IMG_8577.jpg

Nice work, and nice photo documentation. 8)
Thanks for adding to the knowledge-base!

Back