Considering repower

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Akparker

Reaction score
So I have done a total refit on a 1991 2520 deepvee. Converted it from I/o to ob. New fuel tank whole 9 yards. I had a set of 2006 225 Yamahas on it for a year before dropping a cylinder. I’m not trying to chase old engines around anymore and want to repower. The oldee yamahas were at the very high end of the weight. Scup’s were not wet but would be if too many people and gear were on the aft deck. The performance of the 225 was more than enough for what I used the boat for. But I also don’t want to go backwards in that department. I like having the power.

My question is just some opinions on people who have similar boats and what outboards they have and prefer. I am going to purchase new so warranty benefits go a long ways also. Always liked Yamaha but I have no issues with suzuki and I’m hearing a lot of positive reviews from the naturally aspirated mercury guys. Please feel free to spread your 2 cents I’m open to all opinions. I don’t want anything super charged, or Honda (no local support). Thanks guys.
(I painted the boat while engine was down so want to repower before I etch the lines for new bottom paint. Boat will sit much different from when it was an I/o.)

Attachments

• IMG_0556.jpeg
    IMG_0556.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 1
Similar situation with my 2005 2520. Year 2005 Yamaha 250 with almost 3000 hours will need to be replaced sooner rather than later.

I learned from the dealer that Yamaha is phasing out the old style controls; soon only the new electronic controls will be available.

While I would love to take the opportunity during repower to step into the present, I can save a substantial amount by simply dropping in an old style motor and hook up to my existing controls and gauges.

My dealer still has a couple of the older style engines and they are blowing them out. Pretty tempting. In all these years we've never had a single issue with the throttle, the steering, or the guages. To be honest, I've never bled the steering or added a drop of Seastar fluid in all these years.

Good luck with your repower. We're still deciding.

Just repowered this spring.2008 25wa with MV so number will be a little different. Went from yamaha 250 to Suzuki 350. It's a completely different boat. Real world numbers fully loaded to go offshore
4 guys
300lbs ice
Full livewell
12 penn 50s
Liferaft etc
30 kt 36mph 1.8 mpg
Wot 1.4 mpg 45mph
2.5 to 3.5 gallons per hour on the troll

Jumps right up on plane

Light load
2.3mpg at cruise

I have a Suzuki 300ap 2018 for sale with only 180 hours if interested. Would sell for around 20k new ones rigged about 30k

Back