I Smell Fuel

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozdogg

Reaction score
Hey CP Family,

Recently, I have been smelling fuel in my 2120, specifically directly behind the bench seat. I stuck my head back there and see two hoses. Looks like the fuel fill hose and the fuel vent hose (I think??). I have not fueled up in a month, so not sure what's going on. Could the fuel vent hose be clogged? Need some help......Thanks!

Inspect vent fitting on hull is clear and not blockage.

Fuel sender gasket probably is shot
Thanks Brent. How long do the hoses, O Ring and fuel sending unit last? The boat is 3 years old. Bought it new...

There is a charcoal canister under the gunwale too, for inspection. Always a good time while you're in there checking, to put some tef-gel on your sending unit screws since it is so early in its life. You could Life-seal your pie plates when you are done, to better keep the water off your tank. They will still pop off when you need to open them.

Hey CP Family,

Recently, I have been smelling fuel in my 2120, specifically directly behind the bench seat. I stuck my head back there and see two hoses. Looks like the fuel fill hose and the fuel vent hose (I think??). I have not fueled up in a month, so not sure what's going on. Could the fuel vent hose be clogged? Need some help......Thanks!
What year model is the boat? Fuel tanks won't last but roughly 20 years. In the 90's I know of, Parker was putting 1/8" (.125) fuel tanks in their boats. Today, they must be at least 3/16 (.188). I replaced mine after 21 years.

2001 Parker 2801 D'Marie
1999 Parker 23 Deep Vee Baby D'Marie

What year model is the boat? Fuel tanks won't last but roughly 20 years. In the 90's I know of, Parker was putting 1/8" (.125) fuel tanks in their boats. Today, they must be at least 3/16 (.188). I replaced mine after 21 years.

2001 Parker 2801 D'Marie
1999 Parker 23 Deep Vee Baby D'Marie
It's a 2021 2120. Only 3 years old.

Inspect vent fitting on hull is clear and not blockage.

Fuel sender gasket probably is shot
Okay, tightend all clamps on hoses, fuel sending unit fasteners (gasket looked good, but did not remove to inspect) and checked the canister under the gunwale. The gasket on the fuel fill cap looked good. Going down to the boat later today to see if the fuel smell subsided.

Okay, tightend all clamps on hoses, fuel sending unit fasteners (gasket looked good, but did not remove to inspect) and checked the canister under the gunwale. The gasket on the fuel fill cap looked good. Going down to the boat later today to see if the fuel smell subsided.
AIMG_0685.jpgfter all of the tightening, still smell fuel. Last resort will be to remIMG_0686.jpgove and replace the fuel sending unit. Anybody have a step-by-step on how to remove and replace it? Just want to make sure there is no special way of removing and replacing. Just remove and replace gasket? Do I need to glue it down? Here are pics of the unit. Does the connector come attached to the new unit? Sorry, but this is my first time removing and replacing the fuel sending.

The fuel hose looks bad. I prefer to put hose clamp screws on opposite sides or staggered rather than lined up in a row. spreads out the flat spots under the screw.

What about the connections to the fill and vent? Check those too.

The connector will NOT come on the sender. Looking at what you have there... It looks Clean and dry... I wouldn't touch it. I see No weeping around the gasket. Be DAMN careful... You posted that you tightened the machine screws... They are stainless in alum... That can cause corrosion... Tef gel on the threads is your friend. It's not that hard to snap one off... Then you have problems.

But lets look above that in the pix..... The clamps that are on the fuel hose are wrong.

Note how the rubber is squeezing out between the slots. Clamps need to be replaced and fuel hose needs to be trimmed back. Either Automotive Fuel Injection clamps or ADA clamps should be used.

This is a Fuel Injection clamp.... Note the smoothness where it contacts the hose.

thumb_fic_175px.jpg

This is a ABA clamp

9347576_v2.jpg

The fuel hose looks bad. I prefer to put hose clamp screws on opposite sides or staggered rather than lined up in a row. spreads out the flat spots under the screw.

What about the connections to the fill and vent? Check those too.
Checked the fill and vent hoses. Appeared to be good.

The connector will NOT come on the sender. Looking at what you have there... It looks Clean and dry... I wouldn't touch it. I see No weeping around the gasket. Be DAMN careful... You posted that you tightened the machine screws... They are stainless in alum... That can cause corrosion... Tef gel on the threads is your friend. It's not that hard to snap one off... Then you have problems.

But lets look above that in the pix..... The clamps that are on the fuel hose are wrong.

Note how the rubber is squeezing out between the slots. Clamps need to be replaced and fuel hose needs to be trimmed back. Either Automotive Fuel Injection clamps or ADA clamps should be used.

This is a Fuel Injection clamp.... Note the smoothness where it contacts the hose.

thumb_fic_175px.jpg

This is a ABA clamp

9347576_v2.jpg
Thanks Wart, off to purchase the new clamps.

Back