F 250 powered 2520xl question?

Classic Parker Boat Forum

Help Support Classic Parker Boat Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daydreamer2

Reaction score
I have a 06 2520 xl with a f250 on it with bottom paint. It has standard 15-17 painted black prop on it. With heavy loads and 4-5 people it will fall off plane at cruise and is frustrating pain to work throttle even in slick calm conditions. Mid range fuel economy and performance is not good. 1.7 mpg at 4500 rpm maybe 23-24 mph. Did I buy a under powered boat ? Or can a prop fix problem? If I have to I will explore different power but new offshore series 300 is way to expensive and Parker recommends a differ t bracket. I don't care about speed just want faster cruise speed with better fuel economy.

Before switching I would experiment with different props. We use Merc rev 4 props. They hold us on plane at slower speeds.

Try ken at propgods.com he will work with you on choosing the right prop. I know when we bought ours he said he would just swap them out if we didn't like them and we would just pay shipping back and forth until we got it right. Didn't need to to do that though since the rev 4's worked good. THey also give alot more control when docking

I have the same hull. 17 pitch rev 4 is the answer. It is like a whole new boat with that prop and she will hold plane at a much lower rpm with a heavy load.

In my opinion 250hp is plenty,I definitly would not be thinking new motor. I have a 225 4stroke on my 2520 and I do not experience any problem falling off plane with a loaded boat, and I have the same prop as you do. 1st sounds like the prop could be slipping on the hub. 2nd the prop is cathcing air and cavitating for some reason. or your motor is loosing RPM. Since you say its a pain working the throttle. when you fall off plane do the RPMs go down or does the motor rev higher

Rpms drop from 4500- 4300 for example and speed drops. I asked Parker and Eric agreed and has heard of same problem. Bottom paint/ loaded fuel / fishing equipment/ 4-5 good size men is alot on that boat your pushing over 7000 lbs. he too suggested props and 4 blade for better mid range performance. But he also said twin 150 set up is a better performer with heavy loads

Something is wrong. I have a 250hp Ox66 on my 2520DV and I never have to play with the throttle like that.

I run a Mercury Mirage 15.25" x 17" pitch prop. Light load, trimmed out, she will tach out at 5400RPM's.

I have a 225 4stroke on my 2520 and I do not experience any problem falling off plane with a loaded boat,

I'd like you to describe the details of what you consider the boat loaded to be.

Gal of fuel....number of people....size of people....you know ALL the details.

John_Madison CT":1f9blut0 said:
Something is wrong. I have a 250hp Ox66 on my 2520DV and I never have to play with the throttle like that.

I run a Mercury Mirage 15.25" x 17" pitch prop. Light load, trimmed out, she will tach out at 5400RPM's.

And whats it do when you load her down John?

John_Madison CT":3tasf5bc said:
A bit more fuel, but I haven't seen that really.

I run the same boat as John's. 2520DV with a 250 ox66. Even when run heavy (full fuel, 4 adults) there is enough power. I would think something else is at play.

I have reread this to try and catch some more minute details. I think I found them? :)

John said
I run a Mercury Mirage 15.25" x 17" pitch prop

daydreamer2 said
It has standard 15-17 painted black prop on it.

Now those look Real close to the same numbers don't they?

With my conversation with Ken @ PropGods yesterday he said it could be Night & Day difference as to how they perform.

He also said that The Mirage will swing a little easier than the Rev 4 if a motor is struggling a little to get it's RPM up.

I've got a Mirage 3 X 15 X 15 coming from him. It should be here Friday, so we can test this weekend.

Note that I just removed a Something Stainless? 3 X 15 X 16 that we tried last weekend. That is very close to the same numbers. The last prop we tried was a improvement, but it still struggled.

Also....You guys need to post pixs of which hole your motor is mounted in. A motor mounted to low.....and most are from the dealer / factory will throw spray and or just drag the performance down.

The motor needs to be mounted in the correct hole "BEFORE" you start prop testing. Otherwise.....Once you change holes you could very well be changing to a different prop.

Get the boat on a slick surface of water.....I know a lot of you have your boats on a slick surface right now, unfortunately it's not water and the boat is covered with some kind of White stuff that is cold and wet.

You want that cavitation plate running right on the surface. This will create less drag, improve fuel mileage and speed.

This is to deep and need to be moved up.

100_4647.jpg

Here is where it was moved to.

100_4853_zpsd0a71718.jpg

warthog5":1bv3r5av said:
I have a 225 4stroke on my 2520 and I do not experience any problem falling off plane with a loaded boat,

I'd like you to describe the details of what you consider the boat loaded to be.

Full tank, 5 men, 14 fishin rods, gear, 60lbs ice and a full cooler.

warthog5":hb8pyyfj said:

Full tank, 5 men, 14 fishin rods, gear, 60lbs ice and a full cooler.

warthog5":1idvfbgl said:

Full tank, 5 men, 14 fishin rods, gear, 60lbs ice and a full cooler., SORRY, don't know how to delete all these duplicates... Just left out one factor. I do not have bottom paint

Yep I'd say that baby is loaded down. :) Thank you for the details. Details are important so we can compare Apples to Apples. :D

I've got a Mirage 3 X 15 X 15 coming from him.

Actually it was NOT a Mirage....It was a Enturia.....and a I HIGHLY recommend you try this prop. I was amazed at how one prop to another prop with Damn near the same numbers could react so much different.

I'm fairly asvy in this stuff, but these Merc props have some VooDoo in them that will make the boat come Alive.

How about...Out of the hole better, 4MPH faster and .1MPG better. At the same RPM as the other prop. :)

Back